Trouble with guitars in mix.. Please critique.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by codyprang, Jan 24, 2008.

1. codyprang

codyprang Member

On a particular song, I feel like the the guitars don't neccessarily sit right in the mix during the prechorus's and the chorus's. I'm not exactly sure why. I'm just wondering if it's me being picky, if it really sounds okay, or if anybody has any pointers. Please critique.

www.soundclick.com/blackboxstudios

2. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I think they sound fine for a work in progress. I wouldn't worry about it until you've tracked bass and vocals (if that's the plan).

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

I agree w/ Bassomatic. For where you're at in the song - they sound fine. With a Vocal in there - there will hopefully be energy building towards the CH in the Pre CH - so that will probably distract a little from what's not just falling into the track ( guitarwise )

The PreCH guitar does rush a little - so editing that to hit w/ the drums UBER TIGHT should definitely help

But, I'd get the vocal in there to see how you feel about when it's further along

4. codyprang

codyprang Member

That's great advice. Thanks so much!

5. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Yeah...I like! I noticed quite a level change in the guitar when you seque from each guitar part. If there are vocals over each, you'll be forced to raise the vocal level over the louder part which might go against your intentions of the overall flow. Dig it...keep it going. :RoCkIn

P.S. Please excuse my lack of technical terms. I've started down the recording path myself and I am listening to how everything fits in the mix. People around me think I'm weird when I say things like "hey, did you hear how that guitar sounded right there...yes right there in that spot!".

6. wooldl

wooldl Member

Gotta agree with the others man. I think your being too critical. You'll know more once you add in the rest of the tune.

Cool song.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Sounds great for a rough mix. By the way, I think the guitars sound a lot better than the track you posted for comments a week or two ago. Much more present.

Bryan

8. codyprang

codyprang Member

Wow man, that's really cool. They had a Mesa Triple rec, with a Mesa cab, and Gibson Les Paul studio premium plus.. or whatever, with EMG's.

They should be finishing the vocals soon, so I'll post the final mix when that happens. Thanks for the comments though!

9. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I've found that it's impossible to do a real full mix of a song without all the instruments present. The only exception might be the occasional guitar solo, but really, you have to have everything in there before you can make a real decision about any of that. I would also note, that often times people say their guitars don't sound powerful enough, but what they're really talking about is a lack of bass guitar.

When I mix I always start with drums, then I add bass. Once I have those set, I just put the guitars just high enough in the mix to level them with the rest of the song. Then I do the same thing with vocals. If you try a rough mix focusing on guitars, then I find you can't make a mix that you'll be happy with at all. At least that's been my experience.

10. kiko

kiko Member

you will have a better idea with all the tracks together. But tone wise exelent and man that drummer kick some asses, very nicelly done performence there. I really enjoyed the track and im looking forward to see it finished.

11. kiko

kiko Member

word!!!!!!!!!!! indeed!!!!!!!!