trouble with updating firmware in AXE-FX

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by EL34, Dec 19, 2009.

1. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I have been the happy owner of an AXE-FX standard for a few years now....I've updated the firmware twice in that period of time, and each time it was a colossal PITA full of trial and error (I'll admit up-front that I am not midi savvy whatsoever).

The two previous updates were achieved with the M-Audio UNO interface using Bome's SendSX software. I recently tried updating to v9.0 for several hours and kept getting checksum errors. Since I have read about so many problems with the UNO interface, I upgraded to the MIDISPORT 2x2 Anniversary edition......this hasn't helped at all. I've also tried using MIDI-OX software, and I seem to be getting nowhere fast. Can anyone help this MIDIOT get through this firmware update? I'd be extremely grateful! thanks!

2. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I may need to think twice about the axe fx if I have to know what the hell you are talking about. I do not own one but it would appear the learning curve is pretty steep. I felt like a complete fool reading that.

I understand what a firmware update is for the most part.

3. WKG

WKG Supporting Member

I've only updated mine once so I am not the expert...

I used a Midisport 2X2 on an XP machine with the original Lars editor and had no problems. It took about 5 minutes or so once I got it set up on the correct in/outs to the Axe. One thing that kept tripping me up was the merge button on the 2X2 has to be pushed.

Once it was set up and the Axe showing in the editor I went to the File drop down menu and selected "Upload firmware to Axe fx", located the update on my hardrive and hit open. It then prompted me to go to the Utility screen firmware page on the Axe and hit enter, then back to the editor and hit ok to transmit.

That's all I did and it went perfect. I am sure other users who have had much more experience will chime in. There is also great help over at the Fractal forum.

My only experience has been with the Lars editor, I have not used the Fractal Axe-Edit or some of the other programs.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  4. solo-act

solo-act Member

Search the fractal forum. Lots of solutions for people with problems. I'm on Mac using sysex librarian and have always fixed any "bad checksum" by adjusting the send speed faster/slower.

5. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

6. Tubes and Strings

Tubes and Strings Supporting Member

a lot of people had to change the timing of the transfer. I think one of the two was outrunning the other... if this is your case you could definitely be getting a checksum error from it.

7. bluffalo

bluffalo Member

I had trouble too, when first starting out.

I bought an interface (an edirol usb one) and it flat out didnt work. bad checksum 100% of the time. It worked flawlessly with a midi keyboard I had, and a boss gt8, it would receive stuff from the axe and i just thought it was faulty.
    Tried it on 3 different computers and operatingsystems.

So i took it back and got a replacement.

same thing.

tried everything from slowing the rate down etc etc etc.

so when i bought an mbox it worked first time and has worked perfectly ever since. even though that little edirol worked with a gt8 and a midi keyboard perfectly fine.

Frustrating, considering i was new to midi at the same time too.

8. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Just thought I would offer an update to those that might be struggling with a similar problem. The root-cause of this problem turned out to be the midisport driver....even though I installed new drivers from the m-audio website, windows-xp kept reloading the generic "plug n play" driver (which was dated 2001). I was finally able to manually install the the latest midisport driver, and I used Cliffs Axe-FX software to upload the firmware without a hitch.

The new firmware sounds terrific....a very good upgrade!

9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Glad you fixed the issue! I had a heck of a time getting my Mac to talk to my AxeFX until I realized that I had a bad MIDI cable. :mad: Since then, it's been smooth sailing.