"Trouble"

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by batsbrew, May 25, 2018.

1. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

Scrapperz and longshoes like this.
  2. Dasein

Dasein Member

Trouble was the song that first resonated with me on the album. You've got some monster deep swampy grooves on this and the slide work and the vocals are impeccable. Here's what I wrote about Trouble in my album review:

When “Trouble” finally hits, the album rises to an entirely new level. The slide guitar and the acoustics; the layered vocals, the rhythms – all create an exotic soundscape that is very native-American and layered with so much depth and swamp that you could imagine it being played on a porch in the bayou or on the open desert plains. I thought of Stevie Salass excellent work with Colourcode here, as well as his solo stuff. I don’t know if Rob has any blood quantum with Native Americans or cultural roots here, but he certainly displays a deep understanding and sensitivity to the ethnocentric rhythms of the Southern Tribes. This song in particular is so rich in that way that I would find it nearly undeniable. And of course – Trouble is something we can all relate to. There’s a vocal line in the song that immediately took me back to my first marriage and it’s collapse 25 years ago: “She said she’d take me down…“. (I had one of those too Rob. She told me the same thing to my face and then she nearly did take me down). Later “she laid [him] right out in the trouble…” I so identified with this song I wanted to call up my therapist — it’s been 25 years but she’s still on retainer. If only I’d put my own experiences to song back then I might have saved myself a lot of work. http://www.dogsoverlava.com/bats-brew-trouble-album-review/
    I grabbed this album on the strength of the early demos Rob posted and have been spinning it for about a month now --- It actually gets deeper with every spin. It felt really good knowing I was supporting a forum member to pick this up -- that it turned out to be one of my favorite albums of the past several years and has been getting steady play in my truck and on my phone just made the experience of actually buying a CD all the better. I couldn't recommend this any higher.

batsbrew likes this.
  3. longshoes

longshoes Member

excellent... as usual

4. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

dasein,
    that's a way cool review of the album.
    very cool.
    and pretty astute.

thanks man.

5. Dasein

Dasein Member

@batsbrew
    My pleasure. It's the 3rd time I've bought an album by a forum member - the first being @aram (I have 3 of his) and one by NC's The Hawthornes. The experience of finding and buying albums from people you meet through forums has been really rewarding for me. It just feels like a way to give back to the community itself while making the reason for hanging out in forums less about spouting off on the topic du jour and more about the music. I said in another thread that it was @Jim Soloway who really got me thinking about new music and supporting new artists.... We complain about not hearing good new artists and the crazy irony of that is that we've got amazing guys right here in our midst who are bringing it to the table. I also bought an Aleks Sever album that I discovered through the forum.

I gotta say Rob -- this album kicks all kinds of collective ass! What people don't necessarily get when they hear individual songs is that the album has a narrative - and the power of that narrative grows & resonates with accrued meaning as you listen through the album. Your playing is really top shelf stuff -- sonically the album sounds fantastic - it's mixed and mastered with a lot of care. I've said before that your singing and sound reminds me of Queen when Roger Taylor sings, if Queen was a Bayou based American band.

And my wife keeps playing your cover of Bad Moon Rising when we get in the car.

I'd love more forum members to post there stuff here - particularly guys with albums out.

6. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

hi longshoes,
    thanks so much for listening AND commenting!

longshoes likes this.
  7. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

heheh.....
    that may be as good as it gets!
    :D

8. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

you make a great point there, dasein....

yea, you always want a song to stand alone,
    but when songs are written with the continuity of a 'album' in mind...
    well, i think that's beginning to be a bit of a lost art.

i'm trying.

9. Dasein

Dasein Member

Totally --- I've always been an album guy I think, and the bands I followed as a kid were known for making great albums. There's something about a narrative arc and pacing when songs are presented as a collection unified as an album that really allows the whole to be greater than the sum with an album... My wife is still playing Bad Moon Rising every time we get in the car together too!

10. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

HEH, that's so cool that she digs this version...

i mean, it's a classic....
    i just had to find a way to do it that wasn't..... karoake.