troubleshoot my Holland

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Jim L, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Jim L

Jim L Member

Holland lil' Jimi. SS rectifier, two 6L6 power tubes.

The amp is fantastic, but right now I am getting a slight dirtortion on the low E string notes. Could this be attributed to tubes needing replacement?

Sorry if it's a stupid/basic question, but I'm not one to work on amps at all.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Not stupid, but it's also not something that can be diagnosed over the internet.

First, try the guitar through another amp.

Possible problems (unless the amp always sounded like this, in which case, what you're hearing could be normal).
    1) Pickups too high
    2) E string buzzing
    3) Tubes
    4) speaker
    5) something internal to the amp

Process of elimination is the only way to troubleshoot anything.

3. Jim L

Jim L Member

I hear ya... just looking for someplace to start to see if it's something I can avoid a bench fee to discover it was simply a preamp tube I could have swapped out myself. I've had the amp for maybe 2 years years... gigged with it for a while, but haven't played out in over a year now. Don't recall the noise being there in the past.

I'll try a few guitars thru it, although I think I've played a couple with the same result (but can't hurt to double-check). Then I'll try some preamp tube replacements before worrying about the power tubes. If tubes don't fix it, off to a tech it will go.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Swap everything possible, guitars, speakers, tubes, etc. This is exactly where the tech will start and the meter will be running.

5. Jim L

Jim L Member

Ok, I'm a dope.

My 2 year old daughter seems to have played with the knobs at some point, and the one I didn't readjust was the Presence control which was turned down to 1. Bringing the Presence up to, say 4 or 5 seemed to eliminate the buzz I was getting on the low E notes. Does this make sense, or does it just suggest a specific problem? Othe amps I've owned have not had a presence control.