1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Trower - The Man Who Stood The Test of Time...Nothing but TONE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NFB, Feb 15, 2009.

1. NFB

NFB Senior Member

2. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

3. Trowerfan

Trowerfan Member

If you have Comcast cable "On Demand" look under concert tv, there is 30 minutes of footage from the Royal Oak show from the '08 tour. It's free and airs until 3/31/09.

4. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I saw him a few months ago, and he still just kills it.

I'm really glad he's still around making music.

5. 66Park

66Park Member

Trower can communicate more with one note and that vibrato than most players could with a thousand. Truly amazing!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  6. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Thanks for the info...............I will watch him tonight...........he always amazes me![​IMG]

7. Drifting

Drifting Member

I saw him last year, on valentines day, at a pot infested Fillmore :bong

Amazing playing and tone. Sad I couldn't see Dewar, but the newer vocalist from Marin is still workable.

8. NFB

NFB Senior Member

He is mesmerizing at times............incredible!:dude

9. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Are they going to make a dvd out of that Royal Oak show? I seen him there a few years ago. I was deaf for 3 days after that show!

10. zosozep7

Royal Oak Music Theater 2006 With rare occasion playing Mr. Cream

[​IMG]

11. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Look @ the JCM 800 and it's older brother next to it................a thing of beauty............

Nothing but love and happiness playing that set up............especially loud............creamelicous...............:banana:crazy:banana
    :RoCkIn

12. Drifting

Drifting Member

He was playing through the same orange 4x12 marshall cabs when I saw him too.

We were worried something was wrong when we saw him, because the amps weren't on standby before he started. Mishap or not, he just started em up and played the show!

13. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Last year I saw him play at berklee............he blew a speaker or two towards the end of the show.................really cranking those Marshalls............

The good ole days............Marshalls & 4X12's...........the way it should be..........:bong

14. zosozep7

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  15. JJGross

JJGross Member

:agree
    Trower is why I got serious about guitar. I was in high school when BOS came out and a buddy said "You gotta hear this new album". When I did, I thought 'I have GOT to know how to do that!'. Went out and bought a white 66 Strat for $180 the next week. I still cover Too Rolling Stoned to this day - one of my favorite all time songs. Still goes over great every gig too - talk about standing the test of time. A non-dance tune that flies in bars every time it's played for 35+ years? Yup, gotta love that.

:bow

Only thing I usually don't like about bands covering Trower is that the guitarist almost always has WAY too much distortion. I think the key to covering Trower is keeping it kind of clean but naturally overdriven, a UniVibe or clone (I use a NeoVibe) and a slight echo just enough to know it's there if you're listening to it. Oh yeah, and a Strat. Doesn't hurt to develop that strong vibrato & be able to do it on stretched strings too.
    :dude

I met Robin very briefly once and after everyone telling me before hand he would be a real jerk, I didn't think he was at all. Quite the opposite. I told him he was a major influence on my playing and a real inspiration and he was very gracious and thanked me. My drummer was with me and was fairly drunk and butted in telling Trower "You better listen to this guy man - he's the best guitar player I've ever known". I could have crawled inside my skin right there, but Robin just said 'Oh, OK' and kind of laughed at him. Just what you want when you meet your guitar hero in person. A drunk friend yelling at him about how good you are!
    "Kenny would you please SHUT UP!" :eek:

:rotflmao

16. zosozep7

Them are the two amps that made me deaf for 3 days! I was standing as close as you could get to him. I remember after the show, this guy was talking to me and he sounded like Charlie Browns Teacher! Wha whawhawha wha wha whawha.

When I got home that night, it sounded like there were a 100 fans blowing in my living room. I was terrified the next morning that I had did some serious damage to my hearing and that I would never be right again. From this day forward, I allways take ear plugs to every concert I see! LOL!!

17. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

One can never discount a couple of cranked Marshalls onstage, it is the big block of guitarampdom!

Trower plays FAWKING LOUD!!

Bless his heart.

18. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I dont find his tone to be very unique. Sounds like a slower version of Hendrix tonewise. I do love Bridge of Sighs though. He has a great singer.

dk

19. Drifting

Drifting Member

Really? I've always found his sound to be really thick and complex.

Everyone has their opinions, but people to me have always seemed impressed with his tone... so huge.

I too was in the front row, my ears rang quite some time. Great show though, and to see all those vintage posters(Bill Graham's actuals) was really cool as well.

20. Drifting

Drifting Member

Stop it, or I'll cry:cry:!

One of the only(probably the only) dudes from back in the day who still kicks ass.

And he was really into it when I saw him! Still enjoying music after all of these years.