1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

TRRI Tube Choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gm1276, May 16, 2011.

1. gm1276

gm1276 Member

I hadn't used my TRRI for a few years when I had it serviced about 2 months back. Guy put in a set of ruby power tubes, all 4. I used to run it with 2 an I swear the amp was so much smoother and more natural. No matter which guitar I use it with, an SG classic, a Tele, even something with humbuckers, the amp just sounds "fizzy" and ear splitting with any overdrive pedals. It used to be very pleasing to the ear, but now it seems I can't wrestle a good sound out of it at any setting. So, anyone have any tube suggestions? I'm half considering buying an old high power twin clone kit, but new tubes would certainly be less effort and expense ;). I've heard of some guys changing out the phase inverter tube to a 12aU7 or 12aT7. What else have people done with good results?

2. gm1276

gm1276 Member

3. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

Assuming the amp was retubed with a different brand of tubes, you might try switching to a new set of the brand you previously used.

There might be an issue with the amp being biased too hot or too cold for your tastes. If you talk with your tech about how you are using the amp, he can probably tweak it to your tastes.

Lastly, you might try pulling two tubes to see if the tone you remember returns. Running 2 tubes is going to change the current from what 4 tubes would have.

The phase inverter tube in a Twin Reverb should be a 12AT7. It is the last preamp tube before the power tubes. Refer to the tube chart to make sure all the tubes are in the correct position. If the amp sounded good before, there is no reason why it can't be adjusted to sound good again. Good luck.