Tru Oil / Tung Oil / Shellac over solid colour finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Deed_Poll, May 27, 2015.

1. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

Hey
    I've been researching the 'softer' finishes lately and seen some fantastic high gloss examples. But they all seem to be over natural wood or dyes. Could one of these finishes work well over a solid black base coat (for example) as a low calorie alternative to nitrocellulose lacquer?

If you have such an example I'd love to see it. Cheers!

2. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

As nicely as all of those accent the color and texture of wood, they don't have the same effect on solid colors. Black is especially difficult since it shows every imperfection of whatever goes over it and these finishes don't lay down like modern urethanes and such and they don't allow the lay it on and sand it perfect approach that nitro does.

3. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

My avatar is a French polish finish. Granted it is over ebony but I could easily achieve the same gloss and finish over a colored basecoat. The base coat can be put on in the traditional way with shellac colored with pigment. Black tempra powder or Mixol #1 both work well to make a basic black.