True bypass a 535Q?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Captain Crunch, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Captain Crunch

Captain Crunch Member

I currently own the Crybaby 535Q w/Fasel inductor. I see mods for true bypassing the GCB-95 all the time, but have yet to see any for the 535Q. Would the mod be the same? Or is there something different about the 535Q switching?

2. dju

dju Member

I've thought about getting the 535Q and from what I understand is it is already true bypass.

dj

3. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

did lots of searching on this one myself awhile back..i found that the 9v 535Q is TB and the older model.. just 535 is NOT (i have the older)

the 535 series is a real pain in the butt circuit wise..or i should say the way its layed out, making the older ones no very friendly to mod to TB.

4. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

The 535Q is true bypass already. I own one myself.

D

5. crockett

crockett Member

The 535Q being true bypass or not is an age old debate which I went through the trouble of searching the internet for the answer to recently and still found no conclusive answer. If you really want to know for sure, ask Dunlop via email, they're pretty helpful.

I've convinced myself that, through research and experience of owning one, even though the 535Q uses the mystical switch (DPDT or 3PDT, whatever), it is not true bypass and most definitely sucks tone when off. Whether that is true or not is a mystery. I keep it off the board unless I know I'm going to use it. And just to throw this in, true bypass is too important of a feature (whether it's warranted or not) for companies not to market it. There is no mention of TRUE bypass anywhere in the 535Q description, manual, webpage, etc.

6. mrboy

mrboy Member

Little off topic but is Robben Ford still using 535Q?

7. bluelew

bluelew Member

I thought it was TB. I've had one for a couple years and never noticed any loss of tone. The flexability is nice.

8. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

yeah i got my info from a guy that read the schematic? he said it was TB.....now how good is he at reading them?? i dont know...but id assume if you are looking at them in the first place youd know. id hope he wasnt just looking at it to look at it??:messedup:NUTS haha

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Hey - it's TB if YOU can't hear any amp tone suck when it's turned off. The only accurate way of knowing that is to test one yourself.
    So take one home from the store and test it on your own rig. Or take your amp to the store.

It was TB on my rig but may not be on your rig, or on his rig

10. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

its either TB or it isnt...it wouldnt take different amps to tell us that??? it will suck tone...or not.. on any amp... besides maybe a pedal could have a great buffer in it? and you just cant split those hairs?

either way(for the original poster) im %95 sure its TB

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The only schematic I've seen also showed a true bypass wiring (it also clearly said "true bypass version"). But that was not an official Dunlop schematic, and the guy who drew it up also wrote that he hadn't tested the circuit. So I can't say for sure it is correct.

In any case - if you don't hear any tone loss, don't worry about it.

True bypass is not a relative proposition - there are a couple of very clear conditions that the wiring needs to meet, so a pedal will either be TB or not. There are no gray areas there.

However, wether or not a certain pedal is perceived to "suck tone" or not is very much relative - that will vary from rig to rig, player to player and sometimes day to day :D. I've even had pedals on my bench that were wired for true bypass, but still sucked tone due to old and oxidized parts. So the two doesn't always go hand in hand.

The point you're making is entirely correct, though - the only real way to know if a certain pedal will work in your setup is to try it in precisely the conditions it will be placed. And a pedal that cause tone loss in one rig (with one set of ears) doesn't have to do it in another.

/Andreas

12. crockett

crockett Member

Question:

Hi,

I wanted to ask if the 535Q was true bypass or not?

Response:

Hi there,

The 535Q uses a hardwire bypass arrangement. The input impedance is sufficiently high to prevent high end signal loss.

Thank you, have a great day!

xxxxxxxxxxx
    Technical Support
    Dunlop Manufacturing, Inc.

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Not true bypass, in other words. "Hardwire bypass" is the type of arrangement Dunlop uses in all the other wahs, MXR pedals etc, where the circuit input is permanently connected to the input jack. And mentioning the input impedance is only relevant if the pedal isn't true bypass.

Technically speaking, they are right - if the input impedance to the circuit is high enough, it shouldn't cause any treble loss. The problem is that in bypass, that input impedance ends up in parallel to that in the next pedal, effectively cutting it in half...

In any case, what matters is if you hear any tone loss or not. Just trust your ears!

/Andreas