True Bypass Looper Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnny q, Jan 2, 2006.

1. johnny q

johnny q Member

Well - after decades of tone sucking, non true bypass effect pedals, I learn of the existance of this handy device! Sure took me long enough:D

Anyway - I was wondering if anyone would like to share thier opinion on these, if they work as adverstised, are truly transparent etc, and which brand comes recommended - I have seen what appear to be the top two favorites on the net, those would be the ones made by Loop Master and Keely. I am leaning towards the loop master because of the lower price tag and more options to choose from.

JQ

2. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I would purchase a looper that has a buffer. Like the Loopbone from radial or the Lehle.

The buffer will help keep your tone consistant where the looper will just load the signal path down as you add components.

3. 908SSP

908SSP Member

It depends on the effect. Some effects have buffers in them that I want to bypass then I use a looper. I run a VHT buffer I don't want transistor buffers from some pedal. When a pedal is true bypass there is no need for a looper. I made my own looper easy and cheap.

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

It all depends on buffer's and some sound good, some not so good and a lot of the time it depends on the guitar/effects/amp rig used.

That all said, I use the loopers from Dave at www.loooper.com

5. Unburst

Unburst Member

+1 for Looopers, I love mine.

6. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I've got the Keeley TB Looper, and it's a great device. However, at this point, having 8 pedals on my board, I'm interested in getting a looper with a good buffer to drive the signal through all the pedals.

7. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I dug a couple of old BOSS pedals out of the basement and because of a LOOOPER they don't suck tone from my rig when not in use (which is most of the time). Just for grins I tried the BOSS pedals in bypass mode and switched the LOOOPER in and out to compare the tone. The loss was significant, particuarly in the low mids.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1! Dave actually made me a special custom option for free where he installed two extra send/return jacks between my 3rd and 4th loop on my 4 loooper, to be used as something to run some effects that are never off in my signal so I don't need to run them through a bypassable loop. The two pedas I put in this "always on" loop are my boss eq-20 and my ISP decimator.

My 4 loooper has a master bypass switch, which is the only way to shut off the always-on loop and run the signal right from input-output. With it in master bypass, I lose some strength, but when I turn off the master bypass, have my eq-20 in bypass mode and noise gate off, it brings the life back into my signal, thanks to the buffer in my eq-20.

Anyhow, to summarize:
    -Buffers are important
    -Dave rocks and makes a well priced product that is top quality

9. devbro

devbro Member

A looper is the way to go. I run amost everything through a looper except my wah which is first in the chain. I bought my first one (Loooper) from a TGP member and liked it so much I built another one. Pretty easy if you can solder. Bought most of the parts from Small Bear. Tip - if you want to make one, use silver stranded AWG 22 wire. Silver is a better conductor and will result in less signal loss.

10. elambo

elambo Member

Love my Loooper.

11. Barge Concepts

Barge Concepts Member

The Loooper stuff is great. Economical, wellbuilt, and great customer service. Definitely worth checking out.

Barge Concepts has developed a slightly different take on the standard bypass box. When it's available (hopefully late Jan '06), I'll make a note in the Manufacturers forum.

12. mudmen

mudmen Member

13. johnny q

johnny q Member

All:

Thanks for the responses.

It looks like I am leaning towards the Looper: http://www.loooper.com/

Now the question is - which one??? I would imagine for a basic pedal setup, the Micro Looper or the 1 Looper would suffice. Regarding the optional LED, does anyone know if this adds any noise to the unit???

JQ

14. jaymeister

jaymeister Supporting Member

I use a GCX, midi controlled looper...best investment I ever made aside from my guitars and amps

15. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

hmmm
    that proglooper looks like just the ticket

16. Frethog

Frethog Member

I run into a Keeley looper first thing, so I can bypass the entire board and go clean. And I do that as often as anything else. I also use a Loooper for the last part of the chain that has the delay-vibe-tremolo in it.

Both devices work as advertised. The Keeley fits into pretty narrow places and the Loooper feels as sturdy as any stompbox.

17. ryanspeer

ryanspeer Member

Not intending to SPAM by posting here, but just thought you might want to see other builders as well (i.e., click on my signature)...

:AOK

18. playon

playon Supporting Member

Ditto on the Loooper boxes they are cheap and are real problem solvers. Dave is also a great guy, he sent me one that had a poor paint job that immediately flaked off, when I mentioned it he replaced it right away.

I have one with a double loop and a tuner output, in the first loop I run ODs, the wah, sometimes a trem pedal & a short delay, the seconds gets the weirder stuff like flangers, longer delays, etc. I sometimes run a clean boost in front of everything like a buffer. Good cables are also important.

19. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

I currently use both a Keeley and a custom made one that I bought from a fellow tgp member (sorry, I don't know the builder). Both work quite well and save a lot of tone sucking. My Keeley at first, however, gave a tremendous popping sound when I would engage it for the first time after turning my rig on. After a few clicks, the switch wouldn't pop anymore.....but then if I didn't hit it for a few minutes, and then hit it again, it would pop again. I finally switched to George L cables going into and out of the looper and its effects loop, and the popping totally disappeared. 100 to 1 the popping was a problem with my rig, as Robert Keeley constructs his pedals very well and is awesome to deal with; but just to say that if your rig doesn't already have George L's, you might want to get at least enough to plug up all the inputs and outputs from the Keeley looper before picking one up. :D

20. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1! Ryan makes an excellent product