True bypass loopers that POP and those that don't?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Jan 23, 2012.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

I've had some true bypass loopers that make a POP noise when switched on/off, and some that don't.

What's the difference? ...I mean technically they should all be the same if they're true bypass, right?

Trying to find a mini 1-loop TB looper that DOESN'T pop...
    How's the Keeley looper?

2. Led Sabblin

Led Sabblin Member

The charge is stored in the caps for the switches. Somebody knows more than me. It helps to switch them on and off a few times to discharge the stored juice. Jack Deville has click less TB switches

3. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

If everything in your signal chain/rig working correctly, none of them should pop.

4. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

bump for more info...

Anyone have a mini-size 1-loop TB looper recommendation,
    other than the Keeley one?

5. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Road Rage makes good ones.

6. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I click every footswitch twice after powering up at every gig and no popping
    takes 15 seconds off my life that I can deal with

7. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Mine don't POP at all. I've had one that did once with the exact same setup as with the others. The one that popped was by a very small builder, so I don't buy the 'they never POP unless something is wrong in your setup' thing. Occam's Razor has to come into play at some point...

8. chervokas

chervokas Member

Exactly, popping happens because of the presence of stray DC voltage where it shouldn't be somewhere along the AC signal chain either because of a leaky cap in a pedal or from some other cause, it has nothing to do with the bypass scheme per se. If there's popping something is not working right.

9. tdk8709

tdk8709 Senior Member

Probably the bypass looper itself if everything worked fine before.

10. talanzdad

talanzdad Member

:agree what he said!

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

95% of the time its the new george L's hastily made to accommodate the new looper... the rig didn't make noise or pop but half the new cables are.... well... new...

loop master is correct ;)

12. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

13. mmolteratx

mmolteratx Member

Ground that input when not in use and no more pop. :aok Surprisingly enough, a ton of builders don't ground the input when bypassed.

14. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

:agree

15. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Ones that I've built, and my last one which had 10 loops, tuner out/mute, and tap tempo, never popped. But when it mutes, it shorts to ground, and I ground the crap out of everything.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  16. teleclem

teleclem Member

Never happened to me (or any that I've tried).

17. josh.rigaud

josh.rigaud Member

So cables could cause popping? Cuz My buffers been popping a bunch. For about 10 minutes then it stops. Its a JHS buffer. Ive been messaging but so far nothing has been resolved. I placed the buffer before and after the tuner and it will still do it. My cables are Goerge L's. Could that maybe be the coulprit?

18. earthtonesaudio

earthtonesaudio Member

They (true bypass circuits) all pop but it's not their fault. Caps leak and the single-supply (9V battery) paradigm provides a potential for pops. The goal is to minimize the popping to the point where you don't care.
    If the bypass looper grounds the input (and/or output) during bypass, that is the only thing it can do to help the situation. And it does help that one effect.
    But, if there is a voltage offset on a circuit connected to either the input or the output of that one effect, even a flawless bypass circuit can't stop the pop.

19. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Another thing to consider... do you keep the tone control at maximum at all times?

If you don't, it is the same as adding capacitance to the cable (which is exactly what it is doing). The minor differences in cables or bypass methods disappear once you start twiddling the tone knob.

Buffers (unless built into the guitar) are downstream of the pickup/tone cap/first cable and come into play later...

regards, Jack