True bypass pedals louder engaged without buffer in chain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcourtjr, Apr 20, 2016.

1. jcourtjr

jcourtjr Member

Had a carbon copy and sent it back. There seemed to be a bit of a boost when engaged. I believe at the time I did not have any buffered pedals. A few years later I have an ana echo and did not notice the volume drop then realized I had a hardwire delay 1st in my chain. I use it for looping and messing with settings on other pedals. That is the only buffered pedal I had in the chain. Kind of makes sense that when pedals are engaged they negate the cable capacitance high end roll off. I wonder if the carbon copy would have had that boost if I had at least one buffered pedal. Need to find out.

Sorry for the rambling on this. I have returned after years of thinking my GAS was done. 1 month and 10+ pedal acquisitions later (amongst other guitar gear) I am obsessing over this again

2. jcourtjr

jcourtjr Member

Wondering if anyone had a similar experience?

3. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Sounds about right, engaging a delay pedal in an unbufferered chain will buffer the signal and could have been why a volume jump was percieved. Either that or you had a faulty pedal. I don't own a carbon copy but it's a much loved pedal, so in a normal buffered setup I would assume it would operate as intended.

4. jcourtjr

jcourtjr Member

Well, I am going to confirm this tonight and see if the ana echo does the same thing without anything buffering. I will report back.

5. jcourtjr

jcourtjr Member

So I am reporting back. Yes indeed anything that I engage when there are no buffers in the chain brings back highs lost through cable capacitance. (It's easier to hear on pedals that don't change your sound much like a delay with mild settings). Probably could have kept that carbon copy.