True Bypass relays Clickless/AMZ/Monomonster?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gibs210, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

wondering what everyone's opinion is on any of these relay switches

Clickless Is what I was wanting to go with originally, but have heard that you loose signal for a brief moment while the switch activates.

AMZ looks good too but I dont know if I want to try to source all the parts to put it together

Monomonster Is the only one I haven't heard anything about, but seeing as they offer a kit that has everything and you can put it together (and there cheaper) I was really Interested in them. Any input would be appreciated

2. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Well I may have answered this one myself, Although I'd have to find the parts the AMZ is looking better simply because of how its set up. Where the other versions give you connections for Input, Output FX send, Return, LED, Etc. The AMZ is has the connections setup like a DPDT switch, along with the soft switch connection, and LED and that sort.

The DPDT setup allows you to do more with this Relay, Say you want soft switches for a home made AB/Y box, Using two relays you can now wire them up to work in this way, as well as for amp channel switches, Reverb on/off. Not 100% sure But I think you could even use this to wire up your own strymon compatible tap tempo, if you get the right kind of Relay for the PCB (non Latching) or even for an Empress pedal (which requires latching)!

Oh and as much as this may sound like an oxymoron you could technically wire it up so that when the effect is bypassed, you could route the signal to a buffer. I see this working well for anyone building there own fuzz pedal but still want the benefits of a buffered signal when not using the fuzz.

Thought I'd share this bit of news.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i bought Cusack music ones, they are flawless!!

i was building some loopers at the beginning of the year, but couldn't get a hold of more for "international/website" issues, so i got the mammoth ones/jack deville..... they worked exactly the same, except for one big deal breaker!!...... when you press, it cuts the signal!! only for a split second, but ick! terrible, so i finally got a hold of cusack ones again and replaced them all, BOOM! back to perfect. and you can order as a single setup, or switches/relays separately

So my vote is.... other?

4. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

haha, last time I looked the cusack ones were no longer available on their sight, and that was about a week ago unfortunately, as for the Jack Deville ones, I have heard that a few times now, and It has made me less enthusiastic about them, I do like to stick with mammoth for my parts needs but that maybe one I skip, the monomonster Id like to here about, but I think the AMZ is still in the lead for the above reasons I mentioned, I'm getting ready to build a custom Pedalboard Controller, with Amp channel, ABY, mini Expression knob, ETC, and the AMZ looks like it would be able to perform all those functions, I'd have to ask monomonster if they can do the same but judging by the way their pcb is setup, I'm not so sure.

As for your vote for other I'll edit the pole, for those of you out their that know of different systems.

5. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

Nevermind, doesnt look like you can edit the poll once its posted. You'll all just have to make your suggestion in a post.

6. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

found another one, Griffin Effects makes 2 different versions of these, one is the more standard that I see, and the other is set up more like the AMZ but already assembled, costs the average $20 as most others. Look good especially if your looking for a soft switch alternative to building an A/B box or Amp channel switch.

7. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

AMZ's and Jack Deville's are proven switches and both work very well. I have and have had several Jack Deville pedals with his click less switches are still work flawlessly. The AMZ click less switches have also work flawlessly.

8. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I know the Jack Devilles were pretty good, but it seems since mammoth took over the product, that a lot of people complain about the signal briefly cutting out when pressing the switch, this is what has scared me away from them, I think the orignal was good. But seems something has changed since jack no longer sells the product now that he has Mr. Black going.

The AMZ's I have heard a few thing about, but seem to be the original version, and Jack Orman has seemed to address most of the issues, Just personally unsure about building one from the ground up. But I do like them.

9. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

I see some one voted on the monomonster. any opinion on its operation? (like does it have a delayed response, which is what a lot of people say most Relay bypasses struggle with. If not cutting out briefly, like the Clickless style.)

10. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Just a side note, you can modify the Mammoth electronics switches to remove the "mute" part of the circuit when switching. It basically makes it like the V1 Jack Deville switches, which I was a big fan of. All it takes is removing a couple of the transistors (Q1 and Q2). I have not noticed any switching noise with any of mine that I have modded, and the annoying mute is no longer there.

11. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

just remove them, no kind of jumpering the connections or adding a different transistor?

12. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

Yep. Just cut them out or de-solder them. No adding anything in their place.

13. Gibs210

Gibs210 Member

awesome, that just shaved about $25 bucks off my cost for my TBL, since the clickless come with the switches. I think i will use the Griffins in a later project though. When I upgrade my pedalboard controller down the road, so I can reduce switching noise, (when playing in a church its hard to footswitch things on an off quietly with mechanical switches).

Heres a link to a thread I started explaining what I am trying to do:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1517649

thanks for everyone's input!