True Bypass Tremolo Pedal?

Andre357

this ended my trem g.a.s.

I run it off the 18 volt jack of my dunlop DC brick and it sounds very deep, lush and hypnotic.

B_of_H

from what I know: the byoc and ggg (generalguitargadgets.com) tremolo's are pretty much the same thing (ea tremolo circuit). the major difference being the external volume control on the GGG version while the byoc has an internal trimpot.

I ordered a PCB for the GGG trem to build a backup last week. Still waiting for it to arrive.

you can both mod them for slow/ fast speeds i believe by varying one of the resistors (it's the 1k on the byoc). So you could put two different values on a spdt switch and have slow/ fast speed control or put it on a stompswitch as well in a larger enclosure.

Jet Age Eric

I loved my Sempahore but had a hard time getting what I thought was a trad. trem out of it. For that reason (and for the tap tempo), I've really been appreciating the tube setting on my new Empres Tap Trem. -E

this ended my trem g.a.s.

I run it off the 18 volt jack of my dunlop DC brick and it sounds very deep, lush and hypnotic.

redpill

Is there a noticeable volume dropoff when engaged? I don't like that there's no volume knob on it :(
There's a trim pot inside to adjust output volume, but I haven't had to touch it. The volume seems pretty constant to me out of the box, at least on mine.

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
I loved my Sempahore but had a hard time getting what I thought was a trad. trem out of it. For that reason (and for the tap tempo), I've really been appreciating the tube setting on my new Empres Tap Trem. -E
What are you calling a traditional trem? More of a sine wave? Just curious what the "tube" setting is on the empress.

Jet Age Eric

That's probably a good way of describing it. Sempahore is triangle and square. I guess sine would be the third option, and the one I think of as more trad. I think Empress (which has triangle and square, too) calls it tube to suggest it's more like the trem on a tube amp (which, to me, is trad). -E

What are you calling a traditional trem? More of a sine wave? Just curious what the "tube" setting is on the empress.

Ben C.

Dr. Scientist Tremolessence! Top jacks... small size... true bypass... and of course, amazing sound quality. Warm and clear. Vol. pot is internal... set it and forget it!

-Ben

Andre357

That's probably a good way of describing it. Sempahore is triangle and square. I guess sine would be the third option, and the one I think of as more trad. I think Empress (which has triangle and square, too) calls it tube to suggest it's more like the trem on a tube amp (which, to me, is trad). -E

Interesting. I get very lush " traditional " trem sounds out of the semaphore. Especially when run in 18 volts. With the shape knob i think you can really tailor the sound from subtle, hypnotic ( just melts into your overall sound ), swampy and " traditional " to a more modern chop..

Of course IMHO and YMMV and all that :)

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
That's what I thought. I love the Semaphore I bought a week or so ago from a fellow member here at TGP. I run it at 18v also and it is a very nice triangle trem. It doesn't exactly sound like a sine trem, but very good none the less. I have an old tremodillo and a Swamp Thang for traditional sine trems. No pedal really sounds like the old amps did, but oh well. I do like the Semaphore better than any other triangle pedal I have tried, and it is the one I use on my board because it is less finicky to set quickly than the tremodillo/Swamp Thang pedals tend to be. And for a triangle, the Semaphore can get pretty "traditional" when set correctly. Close enough for live. And it is the right size and form factor as well as being true bypass.

Jet Age Eric

I wasn't really interested in a trad tone; I mostly wanted square wave, so it's entirely possible I didn't spend enough time trying to tweak the Semaphore. Having said that, it was nice to find that effect (trad trem/since wave) right out of the box on the Empress. I'm not knocking the Semaphore, btw. -E

Interesting. I get very lush " traditional " trem sounds out of the semaphore. Especially when run in 18 volts. With the shape knob i think you can really tailor the sound from subtle, hypnotic ( just melts into your overall sound ), swampy and " traditional " to a more modern chop..

Of course IMHO and YMMV and all that :)

Last edited:

FF71

Silver Supporting Member
It's a bit pricey, but the Catalinbread Semaphore is a killer trem. Also check out the Stereo Pulsar.

pistolsteve

There's a trim pot inside to adjust output volume, but I haven't had to touch it. The volume seems pretty constant to me out of the box, at least on mine.
There is a slight volume drop with the Cool Cat Trem, but my understanding is that that's kind of the nature of the Trem beast.

To the poster above: are you sure about the internal volume pot? I've opened my cool cat up looking for one, and I didn't see anything that looked adjustable.

redpill

There is a slight volume drop with the Cool Cat Trem, but my understanding is that that's kind of the nature of the Trem beast.

To the poster above: are you sure about the internal volume pot? I've opened my cool cat up looking for one, and I didn't see anything that looked adjustable.
I have to admit, I read about it, believed it, had it open quickly, thought I saw it but didn't need it (I've had no drop at all), and closed it back up. I'll double check. I may have it confused with another pedal.

Trending Topics