True bypass tuner

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by oakfloor, Mar 18, 2008.

1. oakfloor

oakfloor Member

Who makes a true bypass foot pedal tuner? the last one I had died, and when I tossed it, I got my tone back. Thanks

2. Erik

Erik Member

Peterson Strobostomp.

3. Freedom

Freedom Member

4. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I'm using the Planet Waves pedal tuner. So far so good, it's true bypass, haven't noticed any tone suckage. Seems to work fine, easy to see on stage.

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

"Professional features like true hard bypass for preserved tone"
    i don't know, as some smart folks here have posted, anything between "true" and "bypass" in the ad copy tends to mean it's not really true bypass.

if you want to avoid the whole issue, from "true bypass" to problems with in/out jacks, just get yourself an a-b box. the guitar goes in the box, one side goes out to the tuner, and the other side goes to the rest of your pedals and to the amp. real true bypass, and silent tuning, from any tuner. (i use this)

6. oakfloor

oakfloor Member

Well duh, what a simple solution. Good idea, and Thanks.;)

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have a Pedalboard Junction "Union Station" with tuner out and two loops. It's a great way to get your tuner and other tone suckage pedals on their own spur. Check 'em out - http://pedalboardjunction.com

8. joelbah

joelbah Member

some ernie ball volume pedals have a tuner out jack...that works great too

9. walterw

at that point you're back to the tuner affecting the signal path again, so no thanks.

10. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Well, the Planet Waves tuner may or may not be true bypass, but I don't hear any of the naughty things that other tuners (and non-true bypass pedals with poor buffers) did to my tone when in the signal chain.

So how do us mere mortals determine whether a pedal is truly true bypass or not, especially with all the marketing hype being thrown around?

11. walterw

12. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Ahh. Here's what he says about the Planet Waves - "sort of true bypass, with a 500k ohm or so path from hot to ground". Not the real definition of true bypass. Wouldn't you know. Thanks for the link, walterw, didn't know about this site.

13. les_patlaw

les_patlaw Member

Guys, guys, stop this tuner discussion. Bite the bullet if you have to, but get a Peterson. That's it.
    If'n you ain't usin' a Peterson, you're not tuning. :AOK

14. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Digitech is supposed to come out with a TB tuner sometime this year I guess. They showed a whole new TB line at NAMM, and a tuner was included. OTOH, some people don't like the Peterson for a few reasons, and the rest aren't true bypass or don't work right. My friend (a tone freak with tons of gear) had one of those Planet Waves tuners-actually, he had two. Both went bad. When he stepped on them they would make a tone that was approximately an A#. He got something else after that.

15. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

Yea, I know. I have a Peterson on the way. :BEER

16. GuiltySpark

GuiltySpark Supporting Member

The Korg Pitchblack is also trickling into the market after launching earlier this year. Reviews so far are good. If can't do the looper, and can't afford a Peterson (or want something with a smaller footprint), you might check this out.