true bypass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tbone666, Sep 11, 2005.

1. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

what up everyone -

new to the forum - sold a couple things, but this is my first real post -

just curious if anyone is aware if a hao rustdriver has true bypass.
    -also-
    how can you tell if an effect has true bypass - possibly having a signal come out of my amp without a power supply/battery hooked up?

probably an amateur-ish question but lately i've become obsessed with the mid to higher end effects and there is so much difference in quality that i'm wondering about this topic. just purchased the OCD and was completely blown away - i can only imagine an over drive in the $250-300 (mesa v twin(?)preamp/stomp).

anyway - appreciate your help.

t

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I don't know about the Rust Driver - although it is advertised as being TB, I haven't seen one myself, so I'll leave that question to others. However, your second question is well within my reach. :)

Basically, the only way to determine if a pedal is true bypass or not is to open it up and trace the signal through the bypass system.

If you still get a dry signal through when the pedal is powerless, all you have determined is that there are no active components (i.e. amplifier stages) in the direct signal path. It isn't a valid test for true bypass, since it will not show if the effects circuit is hardwired to the input jack or not.

/Andreas

3. dosmun

dosmun Member

A higher price tag doesn't necessarily make a pedal better. FWIW the V -Twin is OK but nothing spectacular. I own and have played $50-$100 OD's that smoke some of the higher price stuff. Use your ears to judge. My favorite OD/Dist peds fall under $150.

4. tbone666

yeah, i know what you mean re: the price tag. i guess the vtwin was a bad example, it's just that i just jammed with a dude that had '64 vibrolux with the mesa pedal and it just sounded awesome. to date i've only played with a couple higher priced toys.

however this OCD i just purchsed, in my opinion is the best OD pedal "i've" ever owned, and i would say it's no doubt due to the components and time put in opposed to the mass produced pedals, this one is numbered #3118 - so i guess it's getting to the "mass" level.

i've had 3-4 DOD distortions, MXR +, big muff, fuzz face, tube driver, ada mp-1, rust driver, ts9, daddy-o, etc - i guess i just feel, like most of you at this point, that you get what you pay for - finally i've got something i'm satisfied with - litmus test is a gig a week from this saturday (9/24/05 - katrina benefit). hopefully it'll shine like it has been in my ears.

5. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

Many true bypass pedals being made today use one of those blue 3PDT switches, which are ubiquitously found in the pedals made by the majority of high-end boutiques.

Another way to tell is when a pedal WITHOUT power is in BYPASS mode and it DOESN'T pass signal, it's NOT true bypass. You'll find this with buffered bypass pedals, such as Boss and Ibanez. If you take out the battery and/or unplug the adapter from the power jack, the pedal won't pass a signal. Whereas, a true bypass pedal, since it is TRUE bypass, will pass a signal in the bypass mode of a pedal without power because the entire effect has (truly) been bypassed.

6. erksin

erksin Member

There are many killer pedals in the under $150 price range now - so much bang for the buck, it's silly. Hang around here long enough and you'll find the right ones for you. Lots of info to be had on TGP that's for sure!

FWIW - I had a Rust Driver and thought it was a great pedal for the money, just didn't have enough flexibility for my situation. I do believe it is true-bypass...

7. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

Unplugging the power to see if the signal passes is not a fool-proof way to determine if a pedal is true bypass.

Some pedals, such as Electro Harmonix and Demeter Tremulator have a terminal on the switch that is shared by a lead that goes to the board and to (I believe) the input jack. So, when the pedal is in bypass mode, the pedal circuit is still more or less in parallel with the bypass. It does load down and bleed-off some of the signal.

You can check for true bypass by plugging one end of different guitar cables into the input and output of the pedal and check the resistance from positive tip to negative tip of each cable, in bypass mode. If you read infinite resistance, it is most likely true bypass.

I hope I explained at least some of that well.

8. tbone666

thanks man - i appreciate it.

9. Robboman

Robboman Member

BTW... don't just automatically rule out non-true-bypass pedals as inferior. Some Boss pedals, for instance, have a very clean bypass, I sure cant tell the difference with my ears. A stock Crybaby wah is noticable right away though. Of course the problem is amplified if you have a board full of non-tru-bypass pedals.

Then there's the signal buffering effect which tru-bypass doesn't do. If ALL of your pedals are true-bypass and you're using long cables, TRY this: stick any generic Boss or Ibanez pedal in your chain (switched off) and listen carefully - you may hear an improvement, especially in the treble.

My underlying point is, always use your EARS first and foremost. Don't let features, price, TGP hype or any other factors cloud your judgement of what really sounds good!

OK, rant over! Cheers (hoisting morning coffee)

10. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

Good point Robboman. the first pedal in my chain is a Carl Martin compressor. It has an outstanding buffer. I do like having a good buffered first pedal. It makes a positive difference.

11. tbone666

thanks guys - i am easily swayed when looking for the boutique pedals with all there "gimmicks" -until recently i've always been a lower end effects person, but after i received the OCD, and soon to follow others, i'm hooked because these od's have a tone i've only heard recorded - and that has been what i was after -

any ideas about a decent analog delay w/ or w/o the true bypass. i've got my eye on the maxon ad9, of course i'd like some type of tape delay eventually - there's just no way for me to justify those price tags.

t