True bypassing a Maxon PH350?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shakti, Feb 7, 2008.

1. shakti

shakti Member

Can anyone tell me how to true-bypass a Maxon PH350?

2. jb1911

jb1911 Member

It's already true bypass.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Is it jb1911? I'm almost positive that it isn't.
    That said, there's nothing wrong with its buffer.

4. shakti

shakti Member

It's not true bypass, unless they changed the design recently. Mine isn't, anyway.

The buffer is good, but like all buffers, it definitely adds some "fizz" when you run a fuzz into it. Even my VHT Valvulator does that, only to a much, much lesser degree.

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Huh - never noticed that. Probably because I always run phasers before dirt.

6. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

7. Bucksears

Bucksears Supporting Member

It's not true bypass, but that's not the reason I'm selling mine.

8. shakti

shakti Member

Well...uh...yeah.... But which type, and how to wire it?

I also run it before some dirt pedals, but since it's not TB, I have to run some fuzzes before it (fuzzface, tonebender, treble booster, big muff). If you put the PH350 in a looper and switch it in and out, you will notice that even in bypass mode, it will squash the dynamics a little. It also adds a little brittleness, especially when you back off the guitar volume.

Other than that, I find it be stellar sounding!

9. shakti

shakti Member

The PH350 already has a 3PDT switch, since it's stereo out. I think I'd need a 4PDT to make it TB and still have the LED?

Things are getting mighty complicated for a simple mind like mine with that setup...so I was hoping someone else may have performed the mod already and had pictures to show or something?

10. shakti

shakti Member

Bumping an old thread. I still love this phaser, and for clean tone the buffer is actually rather good. But I've grown completely allergic to anything messing with the sound of dirt pedals, so I need the whole chain to be true bypass.

I also really like the soft-touch 3PDT switch that's already installed in the pedal, but I'm wondering if anyone has a TBed PH350 and has pictures to show? Or alternatively a very easy guide to how to mod it?

11. shakti

shakti Member

After a little research, I see that Analog Man's chorus pedal with stereo out uses either a 4PDT or a 3PDT and a realy to do the switching. Unless anyone has succesfully performed a mod on their PH350, I am considering sending it to Analog Man for a mod...

12. shakti

shakti Member

Bummer...I got a reply from Analog Man saying they don't do any mods on this pedal...no other explanation.

So I'm back to trying to figure this out myself. Any hints or suggestions are greatly appreciated.