• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

True bypassing Boss pedals?

Dion

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone tried this?

I'm looking to rehouse a Boss RV-3 and thought I may as well make it true bypass while I'm at it or add an internal bypass loop.

Jack DeVille

I get a fair number of requests for this type of mod. I always recommend building a simple bypass box instead of chopping up a perfectly good pedal.

A bypass box will preserve the resale value and maintain the integrity of the original design and build (I believe that Boss pedals generally rank highly in both of the latter departments).

Dion

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Jack.
The owner of this RV-3 is pretty dead set on rehousing it.
I found a couple places online that rewire the on/off to a 3DPDT and install a toggle switch and bypass circuit as well.
Was kinda hoping this might be common knowledge to someone here on TGP.

SonicVI

I've done it a couple of times, but I'm not sure if it's possible with EVERY Boss pedal. I don't think I'd want to attempt it with a digital pedal. I'd be too afraid of damaging the processor, and there's a good chance that the components are surface mount which makes it that much more difficult.

Dion

Silver Supporting Member
I've heard one can remove the stock on/off switch & spring -> install 3pdt switch in it's place (clamping the stock on/off movement down) -> install a LED for the true bypass -> relocate effect on/off switch and led to new position
basically install a true bypass looper inside the pedal.

That's what I'm hoping to do

SonicVI

You can do that, yes, if you don't mind turning the pedal on every time you turn the power off and on. I did this to my Korg DT10. I ended up putting the stock switch back in as this didn't work so well with the DT10 because it automatically shuts itself off after a while if it's not used I found out.

In the Boss pedal you can use the stock LED and just splice into the wire that doesn't have the resistor wired to it to the 3PDT. If you're gonna go through all that trouble I think it's worth it to just to the true-bypass mod if it's possible with the particular pedal you want to mod. All that it involves is removing a couple of transistors and diodes, adding a jumper and wiring up the 3pDT like any other pedal. It's not major surgery like some people suggest, though like I mentioned I don't think it's possible with every Boss pedal, particuarly ones with a second footswitch function like tap tempo or if the effect requires clean signal being mixed in like some of the chorus, but I'm not positive about that. The two i did were the TR-2 and CS-3 and they were pretty simple to do.

Trending Topics