• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

True or False: at loud volumes, minor differences in OD pedals begin to disappear

True or False: at loud volumes, minor differences in OD pedals begin to disappear

• True

• False

Results are only viewable after voting.

overunderdrive

I've noticed that at loud volumes, most OD pedals start to sound pretty similar, even if they sounded quite different at lower volumes.

Thoughts?

whiteop

I've seen this phenomenon time after time. The drive pedals sound different at low volumes but when you crank them many sound the same. Some still retain a certain flavor but they do start sounding like other drives on your board.

Cosmogang

There is some truth, maybe in some live band contexts, but as a whole, I don't agree.
Super loud volumes is a litmus test of sorts for me.
Some work well live and loud, others not so much.

Occam

Gold Supporting Member
I think this is very true especially when there is some power amp distortion. There are some pedals though that really just don't hold up well with cranked amps...the Suhr Riot was an example of this for me.

Devin

Low Voltage
allot of people who gig regularly basically slam thier amp which is already maxxed out into a loud garbage-ey mess. Works for some, not so good for others.

guitarz1972

I think this is very true especially when there is some power amp distortion. There are some pedals though that really just don't hold up well with cranked amps...the Suhr Riot was an example of this for me.
I think there's bigtime truth in this ^.

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
This is probably cuz at louder volumes your pushing your amp harder and then the OD pedals are further pushing your amp into its own natural overdrive and so yeah - OD's will sound more similar to each other at this rate.

whiteop

I like pedals that just enhance a cranked (or not so cranked) amp live like the FD2 or Kalamazoo. In the bedroom they dont sound all that great but in a live context they enrich your tone and really liven it up.

rico1204

I voted false, because some OD pedals come alive (i.e. major difference) at louder volumes; as I'm sure there are some OD pedals that get drowned out (though examples elude me right now).

depends.

at whisper quiet volumes, they all start to sound the same.

at earth shattering volumes they all start to sound the same.

every where in the middle is where they sound different, and that's where most people play.

Yes.

In fact I'd go as far to say front of house OD pedals start to all sound the same.

Its why it baffles me when I see pedal boards with 4-5 different OD pedals.

hector

And when the sound guy is eq'ing things to his liking, "your tone" is pretty much lost anyway. At least, to everyone but yourself (standing in front of the amp). Different pedals are good for boost vs. od vs. heavy distortion, but the finer details are somewhat lost on stage, imo. Now, in a studio is a different animal.

sameoldblues

True. Once your amp reaches the volume at which the power amp starts to compress, EQ changes to the original signal and the preamp make less of a difference in the overall sound.

kevinhifi

If you are judging by ears alone, sure, for all the reasons mentioned. Drive pedals are more about feel than sound for me, though. That remains a differentiating factor at any volume IMO.

Trending Topics