True or False: If You Don't Like the Amp Immediately You Never Will

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gillman royce, Jan 27, 2011.

1. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

That has been my experience. Sure you need to take some time to dial in your sound but if after a few minutes I can't find "it" I know I never will.

2. obasnoj

obasnoj Member

no, i dont think thats true... my mesa's second channel took a while set correctly, but once i did i sold my xotic bb mb that i was using for solos...

now i love it.

3. readymade

readymade Member

For me, mostly true. I'm like that with guitars, too, and am generally a fairly impatient person.

4. MVrider

MVrider Member

That's because the overwhelming majority of amps don't get played on stage. OR with a band even in a rehearsal setting. Players try and buy in the music store SOLO. They take it home and play in the den of the basement SOLO. That's how a lot of makers build the things. What they sound like SOLO. BEcasue the majority of them will never get past that point... And that doesn't cut the mix. If you actually HAVE a mix... They don't have any SLICE. And the bigger the ensemble, the worse it gets. Dude, where's my amp??? I've listened to some amps that got legendary reviews. Sound fine - as long as you don't listen from the perspective of somebody who's been there. Keep it the basement, dude.

No problem for the buyers who don't play in a big group, or don't play in any group at all or just jam away without really listening to what's going on... i.e., don't play on stage competing with/fitting in with the other instruments while the room and the audience crush some of the frequencies.

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Most of the time I agree, most amps 'feel' right in the first minute or they don't. That said, some amps really shine at gig volumes only (I am thinking a lot of non-master volume amps) so trying them at low volume in a store will give you the wrong impression.

6. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

False. You have to play it onstage.

Also, in my experience, it takes a while to learn the little nuances of how to dial in an amp. I've had amps that were less-than impressive at first but were incredible once I dialed them in with my pedals and played them out a while.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

True.

Logically: If I don't like the amp, I'm not taking it home to tinker with. Not buying it.
    So I'll never learn to like it, 'cause I won't be owning it.

Philosophically: Why would anyone buy an amp they don't like, when there are so many cool amps that sound great the first time you plug in? Hell, I never bought an amp I wasn't thrilled with, ever, starting in 1966.

Devil's Advocate: If I got stuck with an amp and had to make do with it, maybe I could tinker with it to learn to like it more. But the last time I felt "stuck" with an amp was when I was 15 years old and not yet earning my own instrument money (however, I was earning money gigging later on that same year, 1965, so I wasn't stuck for long).

8. bismark

bismark Member

9. mountain blues

mountain blues Supporting Member

Yes. My only exception is a modded DRRI that I hated at first and then grew to love profoundly.

Other than that, I have always known within minutes if not seconds.

10. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

If you like Mesa Amps......you have to deal with the curse to get to the promised land....LOL

11. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>you have to deal with the curse to get to the promised land<<

Sort of like dating an ugly woman who's great in bed...

Hey, I liked Mesa amps the first time I played them!

And I've never dated an ugly woman!

12. paulscape

paulscape Member

False - your perception is clouded when you first buy gear. There are no absolutes.

13. Seegs

Seegs Member

IME this is true about everything that is gear...

fine tuning comes later but you can't polish a turd...

Chow,
    Seegs

14. shg

shg Senior Member

I really liked my 93 Rev G Dual Recto when I bought it. But it wasn't until I played it on stage at a decent volume that I fell in love.

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

If the speaker is broken in when you first play it, I tend to agree.

And, amps can sound quite different in different rooms and alone or with the band. So it depends.....

16. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

For me it's mostly true, there would be a few exceptions I think. I find that my experience level has changed the way I look at amps. Not my playing exp. but my experience in knowledge of amps and how they work. I now know more about what I want in an amp, and it's either there or not there as soon as I plug in.

17. Lou Brush

Lou Brush Member

Absolutely true. IMHO, the voicing of the amp should be immediately apparent. I think a lot has to do with years of experience. If I can't plug straight into an amp, fiddle with a knobs a bit, and get a decent tone... it's over. No amount of tweaking, tubes, speakers, etc. is gonna change my mind if the amp isn't voiced to my liking.

Yes, there are a few exceptions. For instance, a tweed amp played through a vintage 30 speaker probably isn't going to sound great no matter what. I'm assuming the manufacturer has done their homework with a properly matched speaker.

18. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

If I dont like an amp when I try it, I dont buy it.

19. MSLBend

MSLBend Senior Member

Probably depends on how much you don't like it. If you hate it, it's better to get rid of it. If you don't like it just a little, then there's hope. Since I don't have any electronics ability beyond swapping tubes (which can get VERY expensive) I much prefer to start with an amp that I basically like since there are so many great choices. It's not that hard to find an amp that out of the get go you like, so why bother with an amp you don't like at all? Sell it and find a better fit.

20. jaycee

jaycee Member

Another good point. It might sound great alone but sound like ass in the mix.