Truefire.com Users

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Frozen Chosen, Jul 23, 2017.

1. thebowl

thebowl Member

Yeah, I have Larry Carlton's (at least one of them). It is definitely not just a bunch of licks. Very nuanced, to a large degree a discussion of when and where not to play. I am not all the way through it, but I am satisfied with it. Worth the money spent, IMO.

willyboy likes this.
  2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

This probably varies from course to course, if you're talking about individual courses and not learning paths.

Fareed Haque's Jazz Comping Survival Guide for example starts with the bare essentials (just use two middle strings), and adds to it as one progresses in the course.

Ben Lacy's Two-Hand Groove Guitar similarly advances from the most basic "drumming" strokes to increasing difficulty levels.

OTOH, Tim Miller's Creative Arpeggio Design starts with the fundamentals of his 212121 pattern approach, but then the rest of the course is mostly reference material that draws from the fundamental approach. Batten's and Verheyen's rhythm guitar courses are more of the reference/collection variety.

derekd, willyboy and Theorist like this.
  3. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

Being able to play the lessons you own everywhere was even nicer, without internet connection or intrusive BS like browser Flash, Silverlight or whatever junk they rely on now. :facepalm
    hell, I don't even have internet in the studio where I do most of my playing, and even on this multimedia PC all that malware is banned.
    Used to spend a lot of cash on courses, and most of them were worth it, but they completely lost me with these shenanigans.
    Sometimes the soap isn't worth the bending over. :omg
    ymmv,
    Rhino

4. Jon

Jon Member

I've got most of my courses downloaded for offline viewing on my desktop mac and also on my iPad. The desktop version uses Adobe Air and I can't say I find it intrusive at all - it asks to be updated very occasionally (maybe once a year) but for the rest of the time everything seems to work very easily and efficiently.

No457 Snowy likes this.
  5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I started out buying their courses on CDROM so I understand where you're coming from.

I think it's great that these CD-ROM courses can also be streamed.

ProfRhino and Rob G like this.
  6. ljholland

ljholland Silver Supporting Member

I was a private classroom student of Rob Garland (which was great!) but needed to scale back for financial/time reasons. If you can't do a classroom with a great teacher like Rob, I really recommend doing an All Access membership rather then buying individual classes. It's wonderful to be able to jump around and do a lesson from anything in the catalog any time you want. Its great if you have an interest in some other style and want to dip your toes in without a commitment. For example, I'm starting to learn some slide for our cover band and have been able to do lessons from several courses...each instructor brings a little something different to the table. On the downside, you don't "own" the content you loose access when you stop the membership but if there's a course you really want to keep, you can always buy it.

SlowJoeCrow, tedmaul and Rob G like this.
  7. Stu G

Stu G Member

The Truefire App is cool, i just checked, i have 28 courses and its growing slowly over time, you cant go wrong, if there is a question about pretty much anything chances are there is a Truefire course that would provide answers for you. I should go back to all access, its like an online encyclopedia of all things guitar, what a great site !

derekd likes this.
  8. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

No doubt, but when I buy a pretzel I absolutely don't need it to "collect 'anonymized' user data for sharing with anybody who might pay for it".
    or whatever other crap is in the smallprint.
    I only buy offline pretzels, period, cash - without Payback. :D
    Money vs product, honest deal, no strings attached.
    And btw, I don't have any sensitive data on this internet PC either, plus I know a thing or two about keeping safe.
    In case somebody should actually invest the energy to "hack me", they would get access to a handful forum accounts, so what ?
    old and in the way, I know ... :facepalm
    ymmv,
    Rhino

9. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Member

Same here, I have all my courses downloaded and have only ever used them in "offline" mode.

derekd likes this.
  10. Jon

Jon Member

Although what you're describing isn't specifically an issue with Truefire...it's an issue with online retail & marketing in general. From what I can see of Truefire's data policy, they don't give access to user data to any external parties, so in theory it's only for their own internal analysis and marketing, which is what they would've done manually in the pre-internet era.

In the grand scheme of things, I agree that the whole online retail can be a bit suspect - why can't I have the option of not providing anything other than the money and the address to send it to? It's only a matter of time before Google...sorry..I mean Skynet...becomes self-aware and decides that humanity is the biggest threat to its existence...but then again, as long as Amazon can deliver Soylent Green to my door by a drone, there's nothing to worry about ;-)

ProfRhino likes this.
  11. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

I purchase all the courses that I work through as it usually takes me more than a month particularly for the more intensive ones. I usually finish the complete course so by purchasing them in a sale it works out to a considerably less cost.
    At one time I only used the courses offline but the Soundslice features work so well that now I work through the ones I have purchased online.
    On a related note there are dozens of new courses listed in Truefire's preorder and upcoming courses list including a Surf Guitar Survival Guide from my favourite instructor Jason Loughlin.

12. nonsense

nonsense Member

Ha. I was just searching for surf resources the other day and wondering if that was on the radar for future courses. Thanks for the heads-up.

13. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

you're right about that.
    But I made a conscious decision not to use anything that requires internet access other than for download and offline activation, no smart phone either, I can still think myself, thank you.
    I did not have sex with that woman ... :D
    and Truefire are only one backside of the medal.
    Those frameworks used by apps like theirs pay for themselves by data theft, it's their shady business model.
    DOM / Flash cookies were only the beginning, today's mechanisms are much more sneaky and efficient.
    W7 is the last OS that can still be made "privacy safe enough" for us regular folks, W10, OSX, phones - no chance in hell.
    But even on W7 it takes quite a bit of effort and resisting the tempting convenience features ...
    Convenience is the bait you sell your soul for, and the majority is happy to bend over.

ok, enough Reality TV, back to my old amps that run just fine without any activation,
    lol,
    Rhino

and regarding Truefire's content, I'm a real fan.
    actually working through those 30 or so courses I bought on DVD and as standalone DL in the past would keep me busy for years, most of them go way beyond the usual "Play Metallica in two weeks" nonsense.

14. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

I guess it depends on your style, but Robbie Calvo is probably my favorite instructor over there .

15. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

Actually they do have the learning path ciricullum feature that helps a bit with this to try and figure out where a course fits. Not all courses are in this, but have used it in the past to help me figure out where a course fits.

Theorist likes this.
  16. adauria

adauria Member

I've been TF all access for about 2 years and absolutely love it. The trick is to buy the all access plan (or add to it) when it goes on 50% off sale, which is only about once a year. You can find the 30-40% off a little more often than that.

In any case, I use it all the time. I try to get at least a few lessons in per week. I have my favorite courses saved. I hit that page and then pick up where I left off on a particular course. It's great because I'm kind of all over the place in terms of the styles I play, so if I'm feeling like working on some shreddy stuff (which I suck at, big time), I grab my PRS and go for it. If I want to work on some blues stuff, I grab my Gretsch or LP and probably put on something by Jeff McErlain (definitely my favorite instructor). Jazz, country, ukulele, soul, whatever... they've got you covered. It's way more material than I could ever get through in 10 lifetimes, and vast majority is excellent.

All access doesn't let you download the courses for offline use, but man it's 2017... when am I offline?

-Andrew

derekd likes this.
  17. davess23

davess23 Member

I've had all access to Truefire for about a year and a half now and I consider it a rewarding investment in my musical growth. Sure, not all great guitarists are great instructors, but plenty of them are. Johnny Hiland's stuff is wonderful, and not just for those who play country. Ditto for Carl Verheyen, David Blacker (love his West Coast Blues course) and many others. I've learned a ton and I plan to stay with Truefire for the foreseeable future.

18. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

They will go live on YT now and then and I would recommend subscribing to their YT page

19. derekd

derekd Member

I have 2-3 dozen TF courses and love their format.

Fareed Haque is my fav, but I enjoy a bunch of those folks. Working my way up to Sheryl Bailey.

cubistguitar likes this.
  20. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I have 3 Fareed Haque courses, all great.

derekd likes this.