Truetone 18v to 9v converter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Srdjr, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:06 PM.

1. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

I've got a Truetone CS12 power supply. It's got two 18v outputs, but I have no 18 volt pedals so I bought the converter adapters so I could use those outputs with 9v pedals. My TC Ditto and Boss DD3 delay, do not function properly when powered with the converted output. Is it normal for digital pedals to behave this way or is it more likely I have a defective adapter?

2. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I am not sure what is in the converter, if it’s just a resistor or a more elaborate dc to dc converter. I typically have just run analog low draw pedals off of the converter and been fine. Do you have an overdrive you can try with the converter?

Srdjr likes this.
  3. sksmith66

sksmith66 Member

my first guess would be the pedals probably aren't getting enough current. the 18v outputs on the cs12 only put out 100ma and splitting that across two digital pedals is probably not going to work.

nastynate, Srdjr and blackba like this.
  4. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I have 2 of those and they work fine in the pedals I have used so far but not a very large sample. Could be any number of issues , lack of current seems logical.

Srdjr likes this.
  5. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

If the 18V emit 100mA of current, then theoretically, there should be 200mA of current per outlet at 9V.

Srdjr likes this.
  6. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

I haven't powered both with a splitter, I've only had one at a time powered by that outlet. The Ditto requires 100 mA and the DD3 requires under 40 mA, so either of them should work. I'll have to try a dirt pedal or two with that converter, which I haven't done. I have another converter that I'll have to try with the Ditto and DD3 to see how that one works. Thanks for the replies so far!

7. Truetone.com

Truetone.com Truetone.Com Vendor

8. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

Current isn’t emitted, it’s drawn. Also, those converters aren’t 100% effecient so you’ll have less current available at the output than you think.

Srdjr likes this.
  9. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Doubt that’s the case here, since the voltage is lowered at the converter and not the output tap. Would be interesting to get a reading for sure.

Srdjr likes this.
  10. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

The tech literature says it can handle a 100 mA load. That would be at the 9V end.

Srdjr and CarlGuitarist like this.
  11. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

A CS 12 will send whatever Ma is required regardless of what the output states up to the maximum of 3000 Ma.

Fantastic cook and Srdjr like this.
  12. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

My case is a bit different than yours as I'm powering a 18v pedal which requires 150mA using a mA doubler (woodoo lab) plugged to the two 18v 100mA of the CS12 and it works fine.

Srdjr likes this.
  13. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

You don't require a mA doubler with the Truetone products it should work without that.

Fantastic cook and Srdjr like this.
  14. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Silver Supporting Member

That would seem strange to me. If that were the case, what would be the point of labeling some outputs with current limits?

Srdjr, 8len8 and mambosun92 like this.
  15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

[​IMG]

manasquanto, Srdjr and MikeMcK like this.
  16. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

Thanks I’ll give it a try.

Srdjr likes this.
  17. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

Same question for me

Srdjr likes this.
  18. 4b454e

4b454e Gold Supporting Member

From Truetone (and in my experience with the CS-12):

A major benefit of using a switching power supply is that it can handle far more current (power being pulled out of it) than any transformer-based power supply. Although we had to put power rating labels on each output to satisfy certification agencies (yes, we actually certified these, unlike most companies), the outputs can generally handle far more than the label shows. For example, you can connect a 300mA pedal to a 200mA output, without causing any problems. With a transformer-based power supply, you can’t get away with that. The important thing is to not exceed the total of all the labels.

But, it is always best to contact the manufacturer with specific questions :)

Fantastic cook, Srdjr and lofibrian like this.
  19. lofibrian

lofibrian Supporting Member

It has been stated that the current ratings per tap are understated in the cs12. That unless you are pushing the entire supply to its 3000ma limit, you should be able to get more ma's out of each tap. How much? I'm not sure.

Srdjr likes this.
  20. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

It's clear, thanks. I then could use both 18v taps for 2 pedals now.:)

Srdjr likes this.