Truetone 18v to 9v converter

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Srdjr, Jun 29, 2020 at 1:06 PM.

1. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Yes you can exceed the printed limits on each output, but there are limits. Each output has a linear regulator, so you can exceed that. Also, some outputs share the same tap from the main switch mode power supply transformer (ask described in another thread by Poul Cioks. If you have tube pedals you will likely find these limits, if not you won’t.

A few examples, trying to power a 12v 500mA Kingsley jester from the 200mA output did not work. Trying to power 2 500ma 9v Kingsley pedals from each of the 9v 500mA outputs did not work. This was both on Truetone cs7.

Oinkus and Srdjr like this.
  2. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Also, the down-regulator (18-to-9)will have it's own current limit.
    It's fairly UNlikely to get ANY form of cable-based 18-to-9v converter to supply up to 3 amps of current.
    Some here people are reading marketing-copy and expecting it to be true even when extended beyond the confines of the Box it was describing.

It really is best to contact the manufacturer (they've already popped in this thread and offered assistance).
    They are knowledgeable and helpful, ime.

Oinkus, blackba and Srdjr like this.
  3. fuchs

fuchs Member

From the Truetone website:
    “(The converter) Handles up to 100 mA.”

Oinkus, Srdjr and lefort_1 like this.
  4. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I have run as close to 3000mA as you can get and it was 29 pedals. That was an additional 13 pedals (16 on board now) on a daisy chain to one 100mA output all dirt nothing digital or high powered.

Srdjr likes this.
  5. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Okay...I tried the DD3 and Ditto with the other converter and I switched between 18 v outputs, neither worked. I used the converters with my EQD Levitation (digital) and my Velvet Fuzz and both pedals worked fine with both converters and outputs, so I am guessing that the Ditto and DD3 are finicky. I'm going to reach out to True tone just to get their perspective, bit at this point I'm blaming the pedals and will use the converters on other pedals.

6. Pope Murphy

Pope Murphy Member

This is amazing to me...

7. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Truetone reaching out on TGP? I agree!

8. Pope Murphy

Pope Murphy Member

No...I'm actually amazed that it took you this long to take them up on the offer.

9. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

Before I contact customer support, I like to try everything that they will most likely ask me to try, which I've now done. I didn't have time until a few hours ago. I didn't discover the issue until yesterday morning before work. Worked from 2 pm to Midnight , got up this morning to take my father to the hospital to have his pacemaker changed. I don't think there is anything amazing about having a job and family responsibilities. But if you think there is, thank you for recognizing my amazingness.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:55 PM
  10. BlueLou

BlueLou Supporting Member

Those converters say they can only do 100 mA no matter what the tap is pushing. If you are over 100 by splitting it, no surprise something is acting up.

Srdjr likes this.
  11. mambosun92

mambosun92 Member

18v Fuzz pedal requiring 150mA plugged to the CS12 18v/100mA tap: tested and approved.
    Thanks for the tip.;)

Srdjr likes this.
  12. Srdjr

Srdjr Member

I didn't split the converted output, I had issues with the ditto, then swapped outputs with the next pedal in my board, the DD3, which then also had issues. Neither exceeded 100 mA draw. I am now currently splitting both converted 18v outputs but am using them with dirt pedals and having no issues.

BlueLou likes this.
  13. BlueLou

BlueLou Supporting Member

Yeah that's interesting... that doesn't seem like it should be happening... although not the best suggestion as far as your indicated, but if you can put higher ma draw pedals on the bigger taps and ODs and stuff on the lower ones and everything works, it might be a win. But that's just me, sometimes I'm a perfectionist, sometimes I'm just happy something works to a certain extent. Good luck!

Edit: Good to hear you figured out a way to route power that got satisfactory results!

Srdjr likes this.