Truetone Lounge with John Jorgenson

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by zac, Dec 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. zac

zac Gold Supporting Member

John Jorgenson is one of the finest and most versatile musicians on the planet. From ground-breaking Country Rock with the Desert Rose Band, rocking stadiums with Elton John, Bluegrass with Earl Scruggs, or playing Gypsy Jazz with his quintet, Jorgenson can seemingly do it all. In part 1 of our Truetone Lounge interview, we get down to the nitty-gritty of his early years, and all of the hard work and risk taking that ultimately paid-off with a chance encounter in early 1985 that launched him onto the international stage.

throbert, Shane S, rreiser and 2 others like this.
  2. Sigmund

Sigmund Member

Awesome series and awesome player! Looking forward to the next part.
    One of the only youtube series where i've watched all episodes without skipping anything.
    Any chance of getting Bukovac on this show?

3. zac

Thank you so much. Buk has been busy. I interviewed him for Vintage Guitar back in 2005, so it would be nice to do a Truetone Lounge with him.

4. rreiser

rreiser Supporting Member

Dynamite ! Looking forward to hearing about the Hellecasters !

zac likes this.
  5. zac

And part 2

In part 2 of our Truetone Lounge interview, John get’s his first recording contract with the Desert Rose Band, launches his session career, becomes a Hellecaster, and is asked by Elton John to join him on a world tour.

6. throbert

throbert Member

Really enjoying these interviews especially this one. I've seen John Jorgenson with various situations and he always delivers a great performance. The Hellecasters were really enjoyable and it's too bad Elton John got in the way of that although he probably made the wise decision. He always seems to have played his cards right which is tough thing to do in the music business.

7. russ

russ Supporting Member

Great interview!
    Love the Desert Rose Band...

zac likes this.
  8. russ

russ Supporting Member

This thread (ready for part 3!) has inspired me to listen to the Desert Rose for a couple hours. I used to listen to them all the time. J. Jorgensen's instrumentation made a lot of the tunes. I can hear 4 different electric guitar tracks on some of them. Plus mandolin... Excellent vocals and fantastic production. Thanks for reminding me Zac!

zac likes this.
  9. zac

You are so welcome. A personal thrill was seeing the DRB play here in Nashville a couple of years ago. They did a rare reunion show with all 6 original members.

10. russ

russ Supporting Member

I saw them twice, 'back in the day'. Such a good band

zac likes this.
  11. zac

I missed out. I did see the Hellecasters play in early 1993. John and Will where amazing. Jerry was very drunk.

russ likes this.
  12. zac

And Part 3.

throbert, Shane S, rreiser and 2 others like this.
  13. zac

And the GEAR section!!!!!

In part 4 of our Truetone Lounge interview, John plays and tells the stories of some of his favorite guitars. He plays Desert Rose Band era snippets on his Premier 6-string bass, silver sparkle G&L ASAT, and Rickenbacker John Lennon 350 12-string, even showing how he used various effects to enhance their sounds. Then we stop off in the 90’s with Jorgenson’s 1983 Gibson Flying V used during his tenure with Elton John, and his Fender Signature Model Telecaster that continues to be a favorite to this day. While talking amps, John gives us the real run-down on how Matchless amps got started, how his signature model amp was developed, and why things hit the skids for Matchless in 1997. Jorgenson also pulls out his Gitane signature model guitar for some Gypsy Jazz and his signature Blueridge flat-top for some Bluegrass picking.

rreiser, Shane S, throbert and 2 others like this.
  14. ddhr

ddhr Member

zac, thanks for posting these and for all the interviews that you conduct and post. I really appreciate your interviewing style - you ask a question and then let the person answer. It has to be tempting to interrupt when stories stray or an interesting point is made, but you manage to hold off. I wish more interviews were like yours. Great work!

rreiser, Shane S, zac and 1 other person like this.
  15. zac

Thank you so. My style is reactionary, from seeing so many guys interrupt the guest so much.

ddhr likes this.
  16. russ

russ Supporting Member

Really enjoyed the 4 videos. Thanks Zac!

17. zac

You are so welcome. It was a real treat for me. I was like a kid in the candy store.