truly Beautiful Disaster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steadygarcia, Feb 14, 2008.

1. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Any of you out there play through the Effector 13 Truly Beautiful Disaster pedal? If so, any tips on using it? It's a blast to play with, but I'm having a hard time finding any "useful" sounds.
    Cheers.
    LC

2. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

It takes a little while... I found it had more traditional fuzz tones when hit with a stronger signal (i.e. not really weak single coils). The volume and tone knobs on your guitar also play a big piece in this.

I would recommend spending some time dialing in the closest setting to what you think you are looking for on the pedal, and then futzing with your guitar controls. There are certainly many usable, sweet spots in the pedal.

3. drolling

drolling Member

Hah!... yeah.

I got mine online from a very reputable dealer & all-around good guy whom I've never had a problem with. It may have been damaged in shipping, but it wouldn't oscillate for me - so off it went to Tejas where Devi fixed & sent it back in record time.

And now it's ever harder to make 'conventional' music with!!:rolleyes:!!

...which I think is the whole point of the TBD.

I've got any number of ge, si & hybrid fuzzes that'll all get the job done if I'm playing, say, a Jimi hendrix tune.

When I want to sound like my amp's blowing up, I whip out an Rx Experience pedal set to swell mode.

and if I need to take it a bit further, tht'sd where the TBD comes in. It'll work as a conventional fuzz at lo settings, but where it truly shines for me is playing the pedal itself; i just take a whack at my guitar, then start manipulating the various knbs & switches in realtime. whle simultaneously covering & uncovering the photosenstive electric eye.

You can actually skip the guitar part, as it'll make a helluva racket all by itself! Try puttingn a nother pedal in the FX loop - any kinda pedal - and marvel at what comes out the other end. Keep yr hand on the amp's volume control tho' - I fried the speaker in my old Vibrchamp that way!

was worth it, tho

4. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Ha ha, I hear you! thanks, guys! Great advice. I haven't tried anything through the loop in it yet, but I will! Any suggestions on where to start? An overdrive pedal? A delay pedal?

5. cmloeffler

cmloeffler Member

Delay pedals and modulation are fun in the loop.