Truss Rod Access

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by TheGuildedAge, Jul 9, 2008.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I'm looking for a new guitar, tele-ish. I played a Mike Stern Yamaha model I liked a lot, but was worried about having to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod.

The guy in the store said he prefers the truss rod that way, they seem to need less adjustment. Has anyone found this to be true?

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

There are whole volumes of opinions on this, but I believe in the old heel adjust.

I don't remember what a Stern sig looks like, or how the pickups are mounted - to the body, or to the guard.

If they are mounted to the body you take off your pickguard and there should be a channel linking the neck pocket to the neck pickup rout giving you access to the truss nut - if not maybe you need one. You can saw & chisel one or use a large round rasp to gently cut one.

If it doesn't have one and you're not comfortable doing the work I'm @ 2-1/2 hrs north of Manhattan if you want to send it to me.

3. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I agree. My guitars with heel adjust truss rod's rarely need adjustment. I like the idea that no wood is removed under the nut.

4. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

I have a tele that Ron Kirn built for me and it has the truss rod adjustment at the heel. Like Mike said above, it has a route between the neck pickup and the neck pocket, so a lift of the pickguard and an adjustment can be made.

I've had this particular guitar since Ron built it last October, and I have yet to make any adjustments at all.