truss rod adjustment on 93 hamer special

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by lamenlovinit, Jun 17, 2006.

1. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Hey all, my new best friend arrived and passed inspection so far. Need to make sure the Truss rod is okay, but don't know what to use to adjust it. Was there a tool like gibsons have, or do you just a nut driver, and if so what size? Also, how much bare thread should be exposed? Right now there is more than a quarter inch (rough guess, didn't measure, and don't remember), and I'm just wondering if I need to throw some washers on there before adjusting. Thanks in advance!

2. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

DR,

You might try slotting the saddles to match the radius, then adjust the bridge height accordingly. I use nut files.

Ron

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Funny y'all should pick today to answer, as I just got back from the auto parts store with a 5/16th nutdriver that did the trick. According to the owners manual I found on the hamer site, 5/16th is the size, so that solved that.

Lucky so far. Neck is flat,well you know, hardly any relief, and no buzzing with what I am assuming is tens. I have some radius templates I'll throw on when I get the chance and let you know what I find. Any chance your bridge has "collapsed" a little over time? I've run across pauls that that happened to, but they were more than 10 years old.

4. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

yep, it's a 5/16"/ you can get them from allparts for $3-4 or so. thick walled nut drivers won't fit as mentioned in the other reply.

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I must have lucked into a el cheapo thin walled one... It worked fine... but it cost more than $4