truss rod adjustment ???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by wsaraceni, Oct 14, 2004.

1. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

I recently put 10s on my santana brazilian. it came set up with 9s. i wasnt sure if i would like it or not. so what i did was i put on the 10s, tightened the springs to bring the trem down a little, and then i played. well a few months went by and i guess i never really thought too hard about it. but the action on the upper frets is really really really high. is this because the guitar now needs a setup. when originally asking about the switch many people said that adjusting the springs would fix most problems. the action at the lower frets (1-3) is fine (about the size of a generic pic) the upper frets are like 1/8"... maybe more

2. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Well, many people were wrong. Higher tension strings will always bend the neck more so you have to tighten the truss rod too. Fret the 6th string on the 1st and last frets, measure the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 8th fret, adjutst truss rod for wanted relief (tighten for less relief, loosen for more relief). Don't turn the truss rod nut more than about 1/8th of a turn at a time. It's a matter of taste but a standard value is 0.01" (about the thickness of a business card). I bet yours is higher now.

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

when i fret 1 and 24, the space seems just about the size of a business card. would that mean that the high action is because of the saddles then?

4. george4908

george4908 Member

Since you didn't seem to notice the difference at first, it's also possible that seasonal changes have wacked out the set up as much or more than the switch to a higher guage. Necks in humid environments tend to bow back, lowering the action. As things get drier, the backbow reduces, raising the action. Sounds like you should have a good tech set it up, and see if he'll let you watch, listen and learn. Neck and bridge adjustments with stop tail guitars are pretty straightforward, but throw a trem in there and it's harder to get it right.

5. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Yes.