Truss Rod Tightened to the Max

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Ronstrat63, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Ronstrat63

Ronstrat63 Member

I have a 70's Les Paul Deluxe that plays great with a bit of fret buzz but can not be tightened any more. ( At least I am afraid to force it.)

I am concerned that I won't be able to set it up right when this gets worse.

What can be done?

2. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

if your fret buzz is caused by neck relief you need to loosen the truss rod not tighten it more. but there are a lot of things that can cause it besides relief. the frets may need leveling and dressing. you could have a couple of loose frets that are a bit higher than the others. if you don't have the tools to check it properly you might want to take it to your local tech and have it checked out.

3. alderbody

alderbody Member

+1

4. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Add a washer behind the truss rod nut. But, yes, make sure it's not the frets or nut first. Is the buzz closer the the nut or closer to the 12th fret?

5. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

i assume that he has a problem with too much releif while the truss rod is maxed.

a way to fix this is to loosen the truss rod nut all the way. then tighten it until it is just barley snug - then while the guitar is clamped or w/ someone holding the body for you - press down on the headstock until you make the neck straight w/ your hand, then while the neck is straight or has a slight backbow tighten the truss rod nut. what your doing is helping the wood of the neck into position and not forcing the truss rod to do all the work. for some reason a lot of gibsons i get have this same problem. usually older ones that have been played a lot.

the washer trick will work, but sometimes its not enough to get the neck straight (in some cases)

good luck and report back to us on what happens.

is your fret buzz near the nut or at the end of the fretboard?

6. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

btw i got the above tip from dan erlewines book - the one that deals w/ set ups, not the big one. forget the name.