Truss rod troubles...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by mmrxcsr01, Mar 3, 2015.

1. mmrxcsr01

mmrxcsr01 Member

Evening folks, a question, please...my son picked up an Indonesian- built tele, the "Designed and Backed By Fender" labeled one...used, maple neck. The neck had a bad bow, which was corrected by a truss rod adjustment. Trouble is, it holds for a few days, and then the bow is back. Bad rod? Or am I missing something else? Thanks-

2. FallsRockShop

FallsRockShop Member

Is it bending backwards or forwards?

3. mmrxcsr01

mmrxcsr01 Member

Sorry, should have said, forward.

4. Bob Pollock

Bob Pollock Supporting Member

Forward as in too much relief? Was it recently restrung with heavier strings. Was it purchased locally or is it adjusting to a new climate?
    If the truss rod is able to straighten it sufficiently, it's probably okay. It may have had that bow left in it long enough that the wood 'remembers' it, it may take repeated adjustment over a period to get it to a 'happy' place.

5. Tune-O-Matic

Tune-O-Matic Member

It might take a few tries before the neck settles in to it's new environment.

6. mmrxcsr01

mmrxcsr01 Member

Dunno what it was previously strung with, 10-46 now. The set's been on for several weeks, guitar is in a stand on the ground level of the house, with all the other guitars. This is the only one with the issue. We adjust the rod to get the strings to a "normal", or "average" action, and within two or three days, the strings are nearly too far off the board to play the guitar. Adjust, two- three days again...for several weeks. The guitar was used, so returning it's not an option. I just never ran into this to this degree before. Thanks all for your input...

7. Ulug

Ulug Member

I always adjust a truss rod for 'relief' and not 'action'. Does the level of relief on your son's guitar actually vary over the course of said couple of days, or is it just the action?

Is the bridge well seated? How about the neck screws, are they tight enough?