Truss Rod tweak question for you

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Beergoblin, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

Well, just got my Monaco delivered and everything seems great except I think the neck has shifted a pinch during the delivery.

The action seems a nice medium and theres no buzzing anywhere on the low portion of the guitar. But from around the 12th fret up on the high E string, and especially on the highest frets I'm getting some major buzz to the point its fretting out.

I'm no tech but I've done minor neck tweaks on my other guitars before. Judging from what I've described which way should I turn the rod a little to see if I can remedy the situation? Its only on the high E and only from the 12th on up, again its worst on the highest frets.

Any help is appreciated :AOK

2. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

If it is from the 12th fret up I doubt a neck tweak will help, but you could try it. Be better to measure the bow first and see if it is too straight, do you know how to do that?
    If not there is a great how to on Anderson's website.
    http://www.andersonguitars.com/questions.html
    See "checking neck and adjusting"

You may have to raise the action on that side a bit, let's hope there is no high spot on the board.

3. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

Well I would hope there isn't anything seriously wrong with it, its brand new and I bought frem a reputable dealer who typically check everything before shipping. I'm just hoping it has to do with the neck moving a bit during shipping.

4. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Well... get them on the phone, and let them know what's going on.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

From the 12th fret up a truss rod has almost no effect. You may be able to straighten the neck and raise the bridge to remedy the buzzing. Otherwise, it's a reftret job because of an apparent 'hump' in the neck ahead of the body joint.:(

6. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

Well, worst case scenario I send it back. I did shoot them an email and I was emailed back saying to give the tech who apparently looked it over before shipping a call but they're closed now.

I had an old beater a little ways back that had similar problems but all three high strings were affected in the upper registers. I took it to my tech for a setup and he managed to fix it so who knows?

7. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

Well I raised the action a bit and its helping out a ton, I think I just need to tweak it a bit.....working myself into a frenzy!:Spank

8. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Beergoblin...

If your guitar is playing clean (no buzzing) in the lower portion of the neck but you are experiencing excessive fret buzz (and choking on string bends) in the upper portion of the neck... then you most likely have either: 1) Too much relief in the neck... or 2) The neck may have a hump or rise beyond where the neck joins the body of the guitar.

Before sending your guitar off... try reducing the amount of neck relief a bit..... AND also... raise the string height at the bridge a touch. That way your action will still stay approximately the same at the 12th fret.

It's a balancing act and what you want to shoot for is a setup whereby your guitar has the same tendency to buzz in the lower positions and upper positions equally when you play more aggressively.

9. Beergoblin

Beergoblin Member

Thats exactly what I did. I reduced the relief a pinch and raised the action a pinch and everythings good to go, plays like a damned dream. I got worked up after I heard the word "refret" but it was a quick fix and as you said, I just needed to find a balance and everything is perfect now.

Thx for the help

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Cool... glad it worked out! :dude