1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

trussart ...feedback... HELP?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by stuagu, Jan 24, 2008.

1. stuagu

stuagu Member

hi,
    i have recently aquired a 1999 rustomatic steel deville trussart. the problem is feedback... ive used 335's & les pauls thru my amps (marshall slash head & cab on half power, clean channel wound up, katana booster for solo's) & had no feedback problems. but the trussart is squealing like a pig
    i took the tom holmes pickups out & put a set of burstbuckers that i had lying around that i know are wax dipped & do not squeal & same problem. is it an inherent problem with these? or am i missing an easy fix? any advice lads & lassies? i emailed mr trussart with no response,
    thanks
    atb stuagu :confused:

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that entire hollow metal body is basically one big ringing pickup cover! is it a piercing high squeal or mid-low range howl? if the latter, you can try mounting the pickups with firmer springs or rubber tubing to reduce their movement relative to the body of the guitar. stuffing the body with rags or something might also serve to reduce feedback.

3. utterhack

utterhack Member

It's not the pups.

That 335 is not a hollowbody - your Trussart is. Feeding back is what hollowbodies do (and why he offers the holey models). +1 to stuffing the body - foam rubber works well.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

My older Trussart has adjustable "compression posts" to dampen vibrations on the top and back. Yours may or may not have these, but if so, try tightening them a bit. Otherwise, you have the usual hollowbody tricks mentioned earlier.

5. stuagu

stuagu Member

6. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Are those the wooden blocks that are inside?

7. fullerplast

No, these are 2 posts located near the center of each half of the body that are adjustable, presumably to dampen vibrations of the top and back. This is on one of the early Paris built tele models that was actually called the Steel Deville, before he used that name for the LP models. My later rusty holey tele does not have these posts. Not sure if the latest solid backs do or not.

8. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Thanks - nothing like that on mine. I did tighten the screws a little on the back and wrinkled the finish around them...should be able to touch it up and I'm planning to keep the guitar as I got it for less than $2k an it was pretty clean.

9. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Mine gets the piercing high squeal. Will try to get some rubber tubing

10. fullerplast

That would almost certainly be the pickup(s) themselves, not the body. The potting is insufficient for higher volumes. Either get them re-potted or try different pickups.

11. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Thanks - I'll give that a try!:JAM