Trussart Sound clips?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by PaulS2, Mar 4, 2006.

1. PaulS2

PaulS2 Supporting Member

I'm interested in these guitars but have only heard descriptions of what they sound like.....before I plunge with cash I sure would like to at least hear a clip.

Anyone have one or know where one can be found?

Thanks.

Paul

2. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I'll be getting one in about a week. :)

Now, whether or not I'll have my DAW operational or not is another matter. But I can try, if you want. I only know from lots of descriptions -- the Steelcasters sound like Teles, but with extra 'zing.' Makes sense, and Trussart does seem to favor darker Tele pickups, which is consistent with that. But I know there's at least one person on TGP who's got one (other than the ones for sale) so maybe they can help.

3. PaulS2

PaulS2 Supporting Member

Always exciting to get a new guitar!

Are you getting it direct from Trussart or from a dealer?

Yes, keep me updated...comments on playability, sound, etc. And any kind of a clip would be great.

4. Crazyquilt

I bought it from an TGP'er. I'll tell you more when it's arrived.

*goes back to pacing*

5. utterhack

utterhack Gold Supporting Member

Not a clip exactly, but there's some beautiful Trussart playing on the 2001 Roxy Music Live CD and Live At The Apollo DVD.

On "Mother Of Pearl," Manzanera plays lead on the intro on his Les Paul, then switches to strat for the fills on the song proper. Chris Spedding plays the gorgeous, bluesy lead lines on a Steel DeVille (though maybe it was a still a Steelpaul then?) I fell for his playing on this track long before I'd heard of Trussart...

More info, including pix of Chris' guitars: http://www.manzanera.com/RoxyArchive/RoxyMusicTour2001/speddingequipment.htm

'Course, both Spedding and Manzanera were using Roland VGA-7 modeling amps, so YMMV (http://www.manzanera.com/RoxyArchive/RoxyMusicTour2001/Roland.htm)...

6. jordanL

jordanL Member

I don't own one, but a friend/teacher had one at NGW a few summers back. Sounded nothing like I expected it too, had a Nice ballanced tele tone, a great acoustic tone to it.

7. Shane S

Shane S Member

There are some clips of Greg V. playing a Steelcaster on Carr Amps website. I would post a direct link but his website does not alow it. Go to www.carramps.com and it is under the archives section. One thing you must remember - Greg can make a 2x4 with strings sound great!

8. Crazyquilt

I just got my Steelcaster a few hours ago (thanks, Tonedaddy!)

Overall, I really like it. The neck is a bit on the thin side, but I'm very adaptable in that regard. I'm just so used to Teles having thick necks, like my TL52's super V, it's a little odd.

Acoustically, it's a very warm sound, almost overwhelmingly bassy, which surprised me. I expected more of a reso-like snap -- but, of course, there's no cone. It's also very light, and vibrates wonderfully against the body. The one I have has a solid back; I suspect a holey back wouldn't be so bassy, or loud in general, acoustically.

Plugged in, it sounds like a Tele. There is a sort of metallic quality that does hint at a reso. Now, my Steelcaster came with SD Alnico II Pros, which I have to admit I was leery of, as I've not generally had great luck with Seymour's pickups. I am getting to like them a bit more, but there's little doubt in my mind that I'll be changing them -- first try will be a Fralin Blues Special in the bridge, and a Stephens Design blade pickup in the neck. The bridge is really, really bright, while the neck isn't as complex a tone as I like (I play a lot in the neck position.)

One thing I was curious about was how easy it was to disresemble the guitar; I thought, maybe, the pickguard might be more firmly attached than just screws. It's not -- the screws are very short, and are threaded right into the body. Same with the control plate.

This guitar has a 6 saddle bridge (like a G&L, not like a Fender -- six barrels.) I may take some naval jelly to a three saddle bridge I've got laying around and see if I can get it to look of a piece with the rest of the guitar, and then put some steel (of course!) Glendale compensated saddles on there.

I know it sounds weird to take a guitar that I just paid a lot of dough for & tweak it, but, well -- it's a Tele. I can't help myself. :eek:

I've got a little USB box for my laptop that I can use to mic an amp -- if I can get it to work, I'll try & put some sound samples together.

9. Crazyquilt

Actually, I take back what I said about the Duncans. They sound quite good -- I'd been playing through my Supro, but I just recorded a quick, and somewhat embarrassing, clip through the Swart. Needless to say, everything sounds better through the Atomic Space Tone! Although it would've sounded a bit better if I'd bothered to tune. :p

I played through all 3 positions, even diddled with the tone knob a bit on the bridge. The volume knob's a little scratchy, but that's easy to fix.

Just a simple SM57 on the grille to a US122 to Sonar on my laptop.

MP3 can be grabbed from here.