Trussart SteelDeville

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by boggydepot, Feb 24, 2012.

1. boggydepot

boggydepot Member

Man, gassing hard for a holey top/back SteelDeville. There's a few Trussart threads started, but a little dated. Any opinions on the guitar's tonal differences running at fairly high gain Marshall settings? I figure the singing sustain is even more with the steel over a LP, but not sure of the hollow aspects and mids or what it does. It would be a sight unseen purchase.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I can't speak for a holey top and back but, I have two Steel Deville that are holey back. Zero problems with higher gain/high volume amps. They feedback nicely on request but, it's never a problem if that makes sense.

As far as comparing them to an LP - similar tones but, different. A bit more zip and zing to the tone but, not overly bright or harsh. Bottom is big and tight, but not quite as fat as an LP - if that helps. Stellar guitars!

3. boggydepot

boggydepot Member

Yeah, I get the sense of what you are explaining......thanks.

Steve

4. magnus02

magnus02 Member

i had a holey top and bottom one and LOVED it... only sold it to fund a custom build from Michael Stevens that I'm waiting on...

sickboy79 was pretty on point with his description. it's very wood like in the tone (i guess the neck does this?) and just a hint of metallic undertones in there, but not really noticeable on any real level. maybe just a mental thing...

they're great guitars but do pay attention to which neck carve you're getting, I think he has 2 different ones. mine didin't have the arcane pickups but i hear they're great...

good luck on snagging one, i want one again in the future...

5. rokpunk

rokpunk Member

I wish I had a SteelDeville and could offer you advice, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE my solid back SteelCaster, if that makes any difference! You won't regret buying a Trussart.

6. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

There is a Youtube clip of Richard Fortus of GNR wailing on one. He is a high gain player.