Trussarts have the BEST TONE CONTROLS EVER. What are they??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JB Eckl, Feb 27, 2012.

1. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

Wow, I played a bunch of Trussart guitars this past few weeks and man, the tone controls are the coolest sounding I've ever heard. Basically they have a steeper roll-off, maybe with a slight resonant peak, but the curve is JUST right.

It makes a lot more sense because it doesn't shave off the mids and create a super dark sound, leaving just the bass... you can have that sucker turned down over half way and you still have a lot of usable, clear midrange. For all you guys who want to get a decent approximation of a humbucker out of a tele or strat... this is it.

Does anyone have the details on these? I'm spoiled for life.

2. paperair

paperair Supporting Member

3. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

It could be 50's wiring or a treble bleed.

4. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Arcane is a poster here, maybe he'll chime in.

5. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Sounds like you've just described the tone control on my Danocaster.

6. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

I supply James Trussart with vintage Paper in oil Capacitors in addition to pickups. I have been collecting capacitors for years and I only deal in NOS. The pots are CTS in the standard values for humbuckers or Single coils.

We compared the capacitors to other readily available caps and found that when you roll off the tone it maintained the clarity. If you are interested in them let me know, I sell them at reasonable prices.

7. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

This is very cool, thanks! I was blown away by the range of sounds I could get out of the Tele bridge pickup - with a little volume boost and some roll off, I was in PAF territory.

Also if you don't mind: can you tell me anything special about the Tele pickups you make for the Trussart Steelcasters? Are they noiseless or anything else different, or just your take on a vintage Tele?

8. Arcane-Inc

Arcane-Inc Member

The Tele Bridge pickups I am making for James Trussart are the same specs as the 51 Experience pickups on my web site. Alnico 3, Hand wound, 7.31k and built with my custom proprietary parts. For James I engrave his logo as well as mine and individually serial number them.

The way this pickup ended up in the Trussarts was that Rich Robinson wanted an early 50’s tele sound and these are the specs I suggested and he ultimately went with on his Trussart Steelcaster.