try this with your carbon copy... TONIGHT!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

after reading the good reports on TGP i went out and bought one of these lovely little pedals,mine is V1.initial impressions? great,however........try this.
    place a dirt box in front for sustain,then set controls on the CC as follows; REGEN 'bout 4 rpts,MIX 'bout 1/2 way(these two settings are less critical than the delay knob setting in the following experiment) DELAY 'bout 4 o'clock.
    play a short/quick note and "kill" the string immediately,listen carefully to the delayed repeats...DO YOU HEAR IT,YOU GOT IT? yep, a high pitched whistle/whine mixed in along with the notes.aaaaaaaaaaarrghhh BUMMER!
    FYI one o' clock on the delay knob = 'bout 440ms.
    anything above ABO3J489 on the serial # = V2.
    i'm trying to find out....does this only happen with V1?
    can you hear IT with the delay knob set to one o'clock,and the mix backed off a little? (i cant)
    and for those who understand the nature of analogue..is this typical?
    your observations/feedback will be greatly appreciated,thanks.john.
    ps. gear used. les paul/ocd/CC/nova nr1/amp.

2. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

I haven't had any problems with my V1, it sounds great.

Can you hear that noise when you play normally?

3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

"normally?"..? this noise is obvious with the od pedal engaged...i have still to "look" for it in a clean setting.

4. charmboy

charmboy Member

This exact thing used to happen with my Keeley modded Ibanez AD-9, but only after I maxed out the internal trimmer for higher delay time. When I moved it back to where Keeley had it set, it was fine.

Since I really wanted the longer times (and the much better sound), I upgraded to the CC (v.1 also). I haven't noticed the high pitch thing on my CC and this was something I was familiar with and thus listening for. I'll give it a try with your recommended settings when I get home later and report back either tonight or tomorrow.

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

This happens with overly ambitious designers trying to crank max delay time out of delay chips.

6. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I'm real curious about this since I've been thinking about grabbing a CC. Does anyone know exactly what was "fixed" in the second version? Was it the high pitched repeat thing? I've heard people elsewhere complain about this problem in particular.

7. Phineas

Phineas Member

i think i heard this bf while playing. i'm gonna try to replicate this.

8. hazel-rah

hazel-rah Supporting Member

I believe that this is clock noise...lots of analog delays will do this...I played four reissue ad80's before finding one where I couldn't hear the noise...the other guys in the shop claimed that they never heard it in any of the boxes, but I sure did...

9. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

I have a V1 and V2 right now. Gig tonight might get rained out...if so, I'll try this with both and report. If not tonight, I won't be able to until Monday. I've not noticed this so far, though, but my normal delay time is around 330 ms.

10. highfive!

highfive! Member

I've had two V1's. The first did not whine. My newer one does. Or did... I had it in a loop, with a non-true bypass pedal behind it, and when I took out that other pedal, the whine stopped. Now it will only do it when I engage my volume pedal - it shows up in the middle of the volume range for some reason.

And just to clarify, the whine only happened past about 3oc, towards the maximum delay time. In bypass mode, too.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  11. DaveG

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass; I was just curious if that's how you always set the CC, and if you usually play like that? If so, I can see how it would be a problem; I run my CC with the mix & delay knobs set lower than that, so I've never had that trouble with it.

I tried my CC V1 with your settings and my Rat, and it didn't make the noise. But it did make the noise when I cranked the "delay" knob to between 5-5:30 (max); I had to kill the note like you suggested, though, in order to hear it... I couldn't hear the noise if I didn't do that, even though it was probably present. I also couldn't get my CC to make the noise playing clean, even at max settings.

12. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

hi highfive...when you say 9 oclock towards the max setting do you mean 3 o'clock?

13. highfive!

highfive! Member

Yeah. Sorry, I'm clock dyslexic.

14. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

daveG.....i still love you:)

15. DaveG

Back at ya :AOK

16. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i had this happen with my old ibanez MIJ delay. it eventually got me to sell it..... i think it has something to do with the chips used in the delay, but also with the internal trim. come to think of it i did adjust it a little, and that might be why it was acting that way. bummer, maybe i should have kept it.

17. steevo124

steevo124 Member

My CC starts with serial # AB02Y***. Is it a v1 or v2???

18. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

steevo....that sounds like V1.

19. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

My CC has a little bit of noise, and I believe it's a V1 as well. What i do notice though is that the pedal adds presence or treble when engaged. Anyone else notice this?

20. charmboy

charmboy Member

So, I went home and tested my CC (v.1) and couldn't get it to reproduce the high pitch whining thing... or at least it wasn't noticeable like it was when I maxed the trim on my AD-9. I do notice a bit of high end/presensce when on as mentioned by Blues Jr, but not in a bad way. To be honest, I really love my CC, and I say this having recently purchased a Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. I mean, of course I prefer the TTE, but the Carbon Copy really does a great job and sounds fantastic to me.