Try to talk me out of this.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by xXMeebleXx, Mar 10, 2015.

1. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

So, I have recently been looking at new Les Pauls my current one is a Epiphone Elitist(Japanese) and I absolutely love it. I love everything about it. But alas it is not the finish color I would like and I would prefer to have one finished in nitro. I have tried at numerous Gibsons and the only ones that I like nearly as much as mine are the Historics. So minimum $3000 if Im not too fancy.

Now I had this crazy idea. I have gotten quotes from several different luthiers on the cost of refinishing mine in the finish I am looking for.

That will be about $700-$900 everything included.

I know the whole argument of "You're just wasting your money putting any into the Epiphone" blah blah.

So is this to crazy/stupid to do. Im looking at it like I love everything about my current Les Paula and don't see the point of dropping an extra 2K from something that maybe 5% nicer than what i would when it is all said and done.

What do you guys think?

2. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

If you feel pretty sure it's a long term keeper and can afford it why not? Certainly worse ways to spend $800.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I think it's a crazy idea. Think of it this way. Unless you break it, you'll always be able to get your money out of a Gibson. Put $800 into an Epiphone, it's gone for good. So buying the Gibson, you're not really spending anything as you can always sell it and get your money back.

4. BMX

BMX Supporting Member

It's your money, but i wouldn't put 800 that would decrease the value of the guitar buy a few hundred. If you really want to refinish it do it yourself. Get a sander or some chemicals and strip it. That's the hard part. The easy part is respraying with nitro, which you can get in spray paint cans from places like Reranch. It's flammable and you'll want to do it outside/use a respirator but it's not hard.

5. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

6. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

You'd better really love it, because you'll be $1800 deep on a guitar that most buyers would choose to buy in original condition for half that.

7. xXMeebleXx

xXMeebleXx Member

It's an Epiphone Elitist that was made in the FujiGen factory in Japan. They are comparable in quality as to a Gibson Standard so its not that I can go buy one in the color that I want. Plus they are discontinued.

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

They may arguably be comparable in quality to a Gibson, but they're not comparable in desirability or value.

9. bkatx

bkatx Member

If you really love the guitar and have the money then go for it.

From a financial perspective though I'd rather save another $1200-1300 and buy a used Historic. Then if you need to you can always get all your money back out of it.

10. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

I think the folks here have covered all the important aspects of this. is this guitar in a shop where you can actually play it, or are you ordering it? the depreciation on any new instrument (pretty much regardless of what it is- until age/demand start the appreciation back up) is a hard hit, especially the imports. there are just too many out there. so if you're not the type to stick with it for the long haul, better to let someone else take the hit and you pick up used. there are enough out there that you should be able to find used the color/etc. that you want.
    like several people have said "it's your money" and you have to make the final call. but, on import guitars in the under $1000 range, if you buy new and decide later that you don't want- it will cost you.

11. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

Gosh, that doesn't sound like a great idea to me. How about selling yours and buying another Elitist in a finish you'd prefer.

12. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

this.

Althou I passed on a historic 2 weeks ago, that looked on the internet like the deal of my life. 2014 model, flamed, very light, killer price, very dark fret board. All sounds good. Ok, then I drove a 100 miles to the guy with the money in my pocket, tryed the guitar and

1) the neck shape was meh. I mean I like fat necks, but this was just kind of too edgey

2) the feel and sound of the guitar didn't impress me at all

=> this guitar was not a keeper, so I gave it a miss.

This will keep me away from historics for quite awhile now.

90% of the time people just buy guitars off pictures. I mean, I have tryed and had some decent historics, but even my last one, a 98 R8 didn't sound and play anywhere near the price tag it normally sells for. So it's gone for good now as well.

As you talk about finish in your post. I am not very sure that this whole "nitro" finish hype is much related to sound. Don't believe forums and marketing. Believe what you play and what you hear!

13. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

I think the opposite: bad economic decision will get you a great guitar! All the small luthiers who make very nice guitars normally have horrible resale. From an economic point of view, a complete error. I am not sure I can get my money back from my Hamers althou I got them USED. But they are still great guitars.

14. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Do this:

Whenever you play it, just close your eyes.
    Pretend you're blind.
    If you have a great guitar there's no need to change a thing.
    Learn to love its looks.
    If you wait a while, you may even decide you like it the way it is better than what you would change it to.

15. PaulHudgins

PaulHudgins Member

Most responses on here are going to focus on the resale value. They are also more concerned with the brand name value. I'll give you a different opinion, if you really love the guitar why not?

Don't worry about the name on the headstock or the cost to upgrade. I put 1k into a MIM strat. I have an MIA as well and yes I could have bought another MIA for that price but to do what I did I would have had to spend 3K plus on a Custom Shop guitar. I bought that guitar 22 years ago and I will never get rid of it and I absolutely love playing it to this day.

So I say why not? Take something you love and make it better. Even if one day you have other guitars that you play more you will still be able to pick it up and have something you love. In the end your connection to the instrument is more important than the resale value.