Trying a new delay plugin...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by scottl, May 28, 2005.

1. scottl

scottl Member

Here are the three retakes over Normsters Footprints backing I did yesterday. I switched to a Waves tap delay plugin. I used the tape delay algorithm on these cuts. It totally changed the tone for me in a good way I think. My old plugin was causing wierd low end phase issues I think.

Here are the takes. Norm likes #3 btw. :)

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/75/fender75better.MP3

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/75/fender75better1a.MP3

http://www.scottlernermusic.com/75/fender75better2.MP3

The gear is Fuchs/Fender75 protoSLXmod andCelestion 1265 speakers. Baker RF guitar.

Hope you guys like! Let me know what you all think. I feel that I am real close to getting my ideal tone.

Scott

2. Myron Stratis

Myron Stratis Supporting Member

Sounds awesome! Very very clear and smooth at the same time! I have to be honest here, I think that most of your tone is the fingers! You have a very characteristic way when phrasing and improvising that I love. I haven't hear a single clip from you that I don't like!

3. gsozz

gsozz Member

Your playing and tone make me want to spend $6000 on new guitar and amp.............my better half just doesn't understand.
    ;)

4. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Nice tone, I dig that delay effect. Very nice playing, tasteful phrasing. Your sound reminds me of Robben Ford. Do you play with humbuckers?
    Thanks for posting such nice playing.

5. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Great takes and tone as always Scott.

Tone wise to be honest they all sounded great to me, and the changes were very slight on my monitors. I've yet to hear a bad tone from you. Still you know the voice your ultimatley searching for. From what I can detect It does seem to be getting warmer and fuller with each cut and passing month....................

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Been checking the archives of clips since before I was a member here ...
    Love the playing and the great tone Scott (as in any clip since then lol)
    Happy New Year ...

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Hey Scott - nice delays. They all sound pretty good.

I've been using Fibonacci number sequences to set up multi-tap delays for mixes, re guitars, vocals, etc. Works really well to create ambiance and delay repeats.

Here's an excerpt of the sequence...

I just use these for ms settings. It doesn't matter what the tempo of the song is either - if you use any 2 delay settings in sequence, ie: 89 & 144, or 144 & 233, etc, it will sound good and not conflict with the song's tempo.

It's not so much the numbers themselves, as the ratio between them, ie: ~.62. I've also tried using 3 in sequence with Logic's Delay Designer, and it's even more of the same goodness.

Another part of this is to then send the delay channel's audio to a reverb plugin, so that only the delay repeats are hitting the reverb, creating very nice tails off of the delay repeats. This would be instead of bringing up the delay and reverb on separate Aux channels in parallel.

8. Rid

Rid Senior Member

As usual a treat!
    Sounds great too!