• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Trying my hand at a refinish project.

I've always wanted to refinish a guitar with a more "surfy" color, but I usually buy them in a color I already like. Well, I got a deal on a Squier VM Jaguar short scale bass, but it was all black and showed every fingerprint under the Sun. So, over the past few months I've been doing a little here and a little there to give it an approximation of surf green.

I'm still touching up the body, but here is the neck. For the faux surf green I used Rustoleum's 2X Ocean Mist. I also sanded off all of the nick finish and redid it with Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil.

I also spent some time filing off some fret sprout and sanding the edges of the frets with various grades of emery cloth so they wouldn't feel so sharp. I did this mostly on the underside where the palm my hand will be.

Khromo

Gold Supporting Member
Your bass looks great!

I was cobbling together a mini-pedalboard recently, and I stumbled across Rustoleum's satin Oasis Blue for the board.

They have a great selection of colors! It sprayed pretty well for a rattle can. With a little careful sanding that stuff will yield a decent color coat, in colors better than I'd probably mix up myself!

Thanks. I think if I were to do it over again I would use Duplicolor and find something close to lake placid blue.

Anyway, I finished up the body and put everything back together. Below is what it looks like now.

I have a bad Geezer Butler J pickup, so I'm trying to contact EMG about getting that fixed. It's supposed to be noise cancelling, but it screams like a banshee.

Finished Body1.JPG
Finished Body2.JPG

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
That turned out really well.

Surf green is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

Platypus

not in rivers, but in drops
Silver Supporting Member
Very nice! I chose surf green and tortoise for my PJ rebuild as well

Trending Topics