Trying out Lollar Imperials in my R8

Vibroluxman

Stopped by a local shop and they had a used set of Lollar Imperials at close to 50% off new after some dickering. Figured I should try them in my R8.

Currently have the stock BB1 and BB2 pickups in it. I really like them, though they’re a bit hot sounding compared to my other guitars. I’m really curious to see if there’s any or much of a difference with the lollars. The wiring was a bit of a mess, so I dropped it with my tech to have him sort it out and clean it up. Should have it back next week!

Kurt L

High winds? Low winds?

Nice pickups either way, I think you’ll like ‘em. I have a high wind in my Forshage... despite the name it’s not a really high output pickup.

Vibroluxman

High winds? Low winds?

Nice pickups either way, I think you’ll like ‘em. I have a high wind in my Forshage... despite the name it’s not a really high output pickup.
Neither high nor low, middle of the road regular.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful pickups, they're keepers in my Hamer Mahogany HB Artist and I'm sure they'll sound great in your R8!

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I have nickel covered regulars in my 68 gold top. I prefer them to the burstbucker 1and 2 that preceded. It’s been many years now. I don’t remember why I did that, but I didn’t second guess, never looked back.

I have heard Fralin’s PAF versions sound amazing too. I also like The DiMarzio Master PAF pickups, a bit hotter.

Vibroluxman

I have nickel covered regulars in my 68 gold top. I prefer them to the burstbucker 1and 2 that preceded. It’s been many years now. I don’t remember why I did that, but I didn’t second guess, never looked back.

I have heard Fralin’s PAF versions sound amazing too. I also like The DiMarzio Master PAF pickups, a bit hotter.
I had the Pure Pafs in my LP classic for close to a decade before I traded for my R8. Great pickup. A bit woofy in the neck. Very similar imo to SD Antiquities

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Regular imperials are hotter than BBs, so if you find those hot, the lollars will be more so. You can always adjust distance from the strings.

bob-i

I have a set in an Epi Sheraton. I have other higher end guitars but somehow I keep going back to the Sherry.

I had a set in a Les Paul Custom for awhile. Stunningly beautiful and dimensional cleans for a humbucker. Super touch sensitive as well...which ended up being a double edged sword as they exposed my uneven and sloppy picking. I ended up swapping them out as they tended to lose attack and string definition when using higher gain (as many PAF types do), but I kept them and intend to put them into another guitar as soon as I find the right one.

Vibroluxman

Regular imperials are hotter than BBs, so if you find those hot, the lollars will be more so. You can always adjust distance from the strings.
I dunno if they're hotter (they tested around the same or a bit lower for ohm's) but they're not as brash for distorted tones.

Trending Topics