• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Trying out Lollar Imperials in my R8

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
They use an A2 in the Neck and A5 in the bridge. Maybe you tried a different pickup?
Yeah, I’m confused, and thinking of a set of Bareknuckles I tried about the same time as the Lollars.They were the A4s. I wasn’t wowed by either personally, especially considering the prices, and didn’t keep either set. The Lollars were definitely the better of the two IMO.

Vibroluxman

Yeah, I’m confused, and thinking of a set of Bareknuckles I tried about the same time as the Lollars.They were the A4s. I wasn’t wowed by either personally, especially considering the prices, and didn’t keep either set. The Lollars were definitely the better of the two IMO.
Fair enough. I didn’t take in to account that Lollar charges extra for aging, so I paid pretty much exactly 50% of what these go for new, and they were as new as far as I could tell. I’ve tried a lot of different guitars and pickups over the years, these are among the best, especially for what I paid.

I think my best deal on pickups so far is probably the set of Fender CS 69’s I got for $50 for all 3. From a shop!

archtop

I like the clarity I’m hearing in your clip. I’m a fender guy who currently only owns Gibsons. Clarity is always what I’m looking for, and I think I prefer my 335 to my Les Pauls for that reason. I might have to try some Lollars. It’s interesting to note the the Eastman SB59 and SB57 come with Lollars standard.

PS - love the plain top also.

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
Fair enough. I didn’t take in to account that Lollar charges extra for aging, so I paid pretty much exactly 50% of what these go for new, and they were as new as far as I could tell. I’ve tried a lot of different guitars and pickups over the years, these are among the best, especially for what I paid.

I think my best deal on pickups so far is probably the set of Fender CS 69’s I got for $50 for all 3. From a shop!
I tried high wind Lollars. I found them to be blunt sounding, for lack of a better term. It’s hard to describe, but they were a little too fat. I may give them another go with the regular or low winds.

That is a good deal! I’m not a Strat guy, but I did play one in a store that was loaded with the CS 69s, and LOVED it. Had a really hard time not walking out with it.

TB72

It’s back! And I’m digging it. Not as brash as the bb’s. More tele on steroids. The neck is warm but not muffled. So far so good, happy with the change.
I've got a set of Low Wind Imperials in my R8. I've found many of the same things as you. Not brash like the BBs. All the classic LP tones can be coaxed out of them, and I can wrangle some quasi tele tones out of there as well. I really like the way they clean up when you roll back the volume (could not get the BBs to do that to my liking).

I've had the Lollars in there for over ten years, and they're not going anywhere...they're a perfect match for my LP.

bob-i

They use an A2 in the Neck and A5 in the bridge. Maybe you tried a different pickup?
I did not know that. Explains why my Sherry sounded so bad when I got it. The previous owner had them not only in the wrong position, but also backwards. He told me the guitar played sweet but he couldn’t get a decent tone from it, Lollars must suck. He was dead wrong, I love the clarity of these PUs.

Trending Topics