Trying to decide on a new guitar.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bertuzzi, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi Member

I have been using an American Deluxe Tele for about 2 years now and have LOVED playing it. I recently gave away a Les Paul Studio and I'm not sure I want to go back to Les Paul so soon (although I love the new burstbuckers in the 2008 Standard). I'm looking at either an american deluxe strat ash or some kind of hollow body (either Gibson or Gretsch). I'm up for any recomendations. I like Lincoln Brewster, Hillsong United, U2, Mute Math, stuff like that. The Deluxe strat is SOO stinkin versatile but I've always wanted a Gretsch (soo expensive!). I was chekin out the 5120 but from what I've read I would need to upgrade the pickups (to get the same quality tone I'm accustomed to)... not too encouraging. I've done some research on the Duo Jet and all I've read are good things. I'm torn! Thoughts anyone?

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Maybe Guild Starfire, and drop a set of TV Jones TV-Trons in? (hb sized filtertrons)

3. Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi Member

Never even heard of those. How do they play?

4. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

all the guys i play with have been raving about the Duesenberg Starplayer TV. Can definitely get those hillsong, u2 sounds. Thinking about getting one myself.

5. Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi Member

Oh my goodness those are beautiful. I want to play one so bad! Where do they sell?

6. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I hate to always harp on these but I just love the Strat Plus models. They're relatively cheap and are always top notch. I've never been a strat guy but I love the one I have. It has a roller style nut, no string tree, and from what I've been told by the Fender guys, these were right up there with the Custom Shops before the CS was all that popular. Nearly every signature model from the late 80s/early 90s was based around that design.

If you're looking into hollowbodies, I'd first suggest trying to find an older Heritage H535/575. They are up there with the Custom Shop Gibsons and you can still find them around (and under at times) $1200 or so. Another suggestion is a MIJ - particularly the Yamahas and Ibanez models. For the most part, older is better with those as well.

And then, if you really want to take a 99% chance on no regrets and can find one at a decent price, grab a Vinetto Legato. I had one that I traded in here on TGP and it was by far one of the best built and sounding guitars I've ever played! Vince is a hell of a luthier and knows tone.

Isn't TGP fun?! I've learned so much about guitars I never knew about until getting here!

7. Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi Member

Where can I buy a Duesenberg Starplayer TV? Do I have to order it from like California or something? Who sells them?

8. paul p

paul p Supporting Member

I agree. Vince is one of the best!