Trying to educate myself about PRS Singlecuts - need some help:

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by saf_1, Feb 20, 2012.

1. saf_1

saf_1 Member

This may be a question that would be better suited to the Birds and Moons forum, but I know there are plenty of PRS players who post here, so I'm going to try here first.

Here's the deal: For financial reasons, I have had to divest myself of basically my entire guitar (and amp) collection over the past 2 1/2 years. Les Paul Historics, Gresch Setzer 6120, Custom Shop Fenders. So I am down to a parts Tele (Fender body/neck and aftermarket p'ups/electronics), and a PRS SE Singlecut Korina which I've modded w/better pickups. I am finally in a position to purchase what I'd consider another "good" electric. I've set my price limit at around $1600, but ideally I'd like to spend less (there are DEFINITELY bargains to be had in this ****** market). And after thoroughly (and I mean THOROUGHLY) scouring the market, I've decided that the best bargains are currently in used PRS.

I've always been more of a Les Paul guy, but I feel like the PRS's are probably better instruments than the current crop of Gibsons (heard lots of stories about lack of quality conrtol in their production instruments - and can't afford to spring for another Historic right now). So I am seriously considering a singlecut of some type. And until I started looking specifically at them, I didn't realize how many variations there were. So here is my question.

All things being RELATIVELY equal, which is the more desireable instrument, from a tone/playability/and RESALE perspective? An early 2000's singlecut - maybe with the Artist package - 10 top, birds, vintage tuners, 2 volume/2 tone LP type control config. possible Brazilain board, OR a mid-2000's Singlecut Trem - trem, birds, locking tuners, and incredibly huge flamey top - although it is not listed as a 10 on the peghead, it kills a lot of PRS 10 tops I've seen (especailly the "AAA" tops I've seen on a few of the new Les Pauls). The Singlecut trem, also had the original PRS "6" pickups removed, and they've been replaced with Dragon I's - which are appprently more desireable and toneful (seller has receipt and box for the Dragons). I'll be honest. I'm leaning toward the trem. I like the versatility of having a trem, and the PRS version is one of the most stable out there. And the trem model seems to be significantly more scarce. But I want some recommendations here. Which model is genereally considered more desireable, an which does the readership favor - like I said - all things being relatively equal.

I understand that the two instruments are not EXACTLY alike, but I just want some opinions on who prefers which guitar and why, and which is the more desireable, given the criteria I mentioned earlier. I know this is very subjective, but subjectivity is what I'm looking for here. So, PRS players - just tell me: which singlecut models are your favorites, and why? And - just fyi - I can probably pick up either instrument somewhere in the $1500 range. So all things being equal INCLUDING price...

2. saf_1

saf_1 Member

Bump. Cmo'n guys,I need some help here.

3. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

Honestly, the PRS singlecut resale value isn't that good, and unless you get a recent one with 58/08 pickups, you may not be all that satisfied with the tone. If you want a great sounding guitar, that you won't need to spend additional funds to "upgrade", I'd suggest you save a couple hundred more and look for a used DGT. The DGT will give you the trem you want, but with better pickups that a singlecut, and a thicker body for a more massive tone. If you are patient, you can sometimes find a used DGT with moons for $1800. And then, if for some reason you don't bond with it, you can get all your money back relatively quickly and easily. Not true with a singlecut. Those take forever to sell unless you are giving it away. Since you've had some nice guitars in the past, don't saddle yourself with an expensive guitar that is only "pretty good". With a DGT, you will be taking virtually no risk. They are all great, and their value is very stable.

4. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I've looked at DGT's, and like them pretty well. A year or so ago, I was seeing them occasionally in the $1700-1800 range, but not anymore. Beleive me, I watch ebay religiously - and I'm just not seeing them go for under $2k. It's funny how certain guitars get "hot", and then suddenly the demand (and price) jumps accdordingly. Well, the DGT is currently "hot". I recently watched a goldtop w/moons, with a broken peghead on ebay. Had fallen off a stand and an entire edge of the peghead had broken off. It started from the bottom, and went up through the low E tuner at an angle to the side of the peghead next to the D tuner. It had been repaired, but by the OWNER of the instrument, who was not a luthier. It looked like the pieces matched up pretty well, and although it was not awful, it was still not a beautiful repair cosmetically. Starting bid was $900, and I thought about it - weighed the pros and cons of getting it cheap, but backed off. I was too scared of the repair. The guitar STILL ended up going for almost $1400. I'd have given nowhere near that. Point being, deals on DGT's are not at all that common these days, and I'm just not going to pay $2k for one. Call me stingy, but the market sucks. Not disputing what you're saying about DGT's, but the beating I took on my Historics the last two years, is still fresh in my mind.

5. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

You'd get "better" answers from birdandmoons.com

For the past few months I've seen some crazy prices on used single cuts from GC used section: $1,500-1,800 ~~~

6. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

FYI - there's a really nice goldtop DGT with moons on Nashville Craigslist right now for $1800 (listed 2/11/12). Still for sale.

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I have an Maryland PRS but recently bought an SE245 a Les Paul Style guitar that sounds great and lightweight too.

8. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

Reading your post, it seems you're more interested in the singlecut trem.

They play nicely, and I don't think you have to rush to replace the pickups.

If you like a trem, you'll probably want one in the long run, and will end up getting one sooner or later... so why not now?

Besides the forum here and the B&M's one... you should try GC's used search... there are some decent deals there from time to time... I've seen a couple similar to what you're looking for, and there's always something new. They will ship to a local store for free, if you buy it in your local store... and you always have a 30 day money back guarantee... so there's plenty of time to try it in your own rig.

One other thought. You mentioned you had a SE Singlecut Korina that you upgraded... have you played one of the new SE Singlecut Trem's? I got a great deal from Sweetwater on one and it is a sweet player. Although I haven't felt the need to upgrade the pups, I could add high end PRS pups or any other great pups for a reasonable total price.

M

9. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I think the nicest single cut PRS makes is the SC58 they now make a plain version less expensive than the best one at $3800

10. saf_1

saf_1 Member

The SC58 is a nice instrument, no question, but even the no-frills version is in the mid-$2k's. Just not gonna pay that right now. Really, I wouldn't pay that for a new instrument, anyway. I never buy new - only buy used - and never get so emotionally invested, that I pay more than I reasonably think I can get back out of the guitar if I decide to sell. The SC58 hasn't been out long enough for there to be any used ones floating around. There actually is a nice DGT on ebay right now, with birds and a 10 top, for a starting bid of $1900, w/a BIN of $2100. But even at the min bid, still more than I want to pay. All the other DGT's on ebay range from $2300-$15K - most new. Another PRS I REALLY like is the NF3. I love those Narrowfield p'ups. They aren't beautiful, but for a player's guitar, I think they are huge bang for the buck. I just think they sound great. And used you can really find some super deals - because apparently this model just isn't moving that well. Unfortunately, that also means that you don't find them used very often either. There have been a couple of these that I barely missed on, that had me banging my head in frustration.

As far as the SE's go, I think they are good value for the money, but right now I'm not looking for another SE. I want something of similar quality to the instuments I had to let go of - and an SE is not it. I may try the GC used search,as suggested - however it's been my experience with GC's used gear, that they typically expect to get ABOVE market value for their high end stuff. Not many "deals" to be found. I've heard of others finding good deals though, so maybe I've just been unlucky.

11. KCWM

KCWM Member

I have a 2003 Singlecut, though with a stoptail instead of a trem. I really like it. It's very Les Paul to me. It feels great in my hands and sounds great through my amps, at both stage and bedroom volume. The pickups don't sound like a Les Paul, but I'm not expecting them to. I do think that people move from their Les Pauls to a PRS singlecut and expect to hear the same thing. They are disappointed by their own expectation rather than the pickups themselves.

I also have an SC245 McCarty Soapbar that's absolutely fantastic. It ran me over $2000, but has been worth every penny. Short of a some financial crisis, it is THE guitar for me.

I've owned Les Pauls, though never one of the NICE ones. Compared to the ones I've owned and played, I'll take my two PRS any day.

12. wilerty

wilerty Member

The SCT and pre 2007 SCs had 25" scale and were not chambered. The SCs had #7 pups, that are quite hot and the SCTs had #6 pups, which weren't as hot. Neith #6 or #7 were my favorite, but many loved them. I had an SCT IRW, which was very nice.

The SC245, with a chambered body, 245 pups, and 24.5" scale came out in 2007. These are around in your price range, and are what I would recommend you look for ... or at least, what I would look for in an SC ...

At the same time the SC250 came out with hotter pups and 25" scale.

13. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I have played 245's and like them pretty well - very LP'ish. I'd love to snag one with 57/08's in it. I've got a line on a 2001 mint SC - probably 6's in it, a 2006 SC, with a DiMarzio 36 Anniv. PAF in the neck/Norton in the bridge, and a pre-2007 SCT with Dragon I's replacing the 6's that were originally in it. All w/ 10 tops and birds/. Also a very good possibility that both the SC's have Brazilian boards. I can probably pick up any of the 3 for around $1500. So which one would you go with?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  14. saf_1

saf_1 Member

bump... again.