Trying to find the George Benson tone.....

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by JLeurck, Feb 25, 2006.

1. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

http://test.mikedodge.com/mvdmusic/Leurck/LatinWonder.mp3

Would you guys mind telling me if I'm in the ballpark? I'm trying to cop the George Benson "Bad Benson"-era hollowbody tone for a track I'm in the middle of writing. Please pretend that the clams are actually good notes! The track is Stevie Wonder's "Another Star".

Thanks in advance to any who care to comment.

2. 900

900 Member

Sounds good to me. I think on the "Bad Benson" cover GB is holding a Guild Starfire, but then again, who knows exactly what he was really playing in the studio....? Beside this, Benson is Benson, he would sound like him even if he would play a Tele, Strat etc.

3. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

4. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

Sure, Ted - I'd dig the backing! BTW, you should have seen my cat just FREAK when your playing kicked in! The door was closed and I thought she was going to break right through it! I did have the monitors up pretty high, though.......she likes to lay under my desk when I'm in here. I think we just took her by suprise:JAM

5. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I bet your cat loved it. You should buy your cat my CD on his/her birthday!!

Here's the BT:

http://www.tedm.com/mp3s/bwaybt.MP3

6. JLeurck

JLeurck Member

Seeing that there are some more people who are into Benson out here, I wouldn't mind a little more feedback on this one. Again, if you can get past some of the clams and comment on the tone. Keeping in mind that I don't have a D'Angelico and a Polytone, am I getting close enough to a Benson CTI-era hollowbody sound?

7. ivers

ivers Member

I think it's very difficult to compare 'tones', but what you have definitely sounded good, and also quite IMO Benson-like, fwiw. Very nice playing as well! (Can't say I was bothered by any clams, though)

8. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

I liked your playing, thanks.
    To get more GB-like tone I would recommend adding back a bit more mids to your sound. It sounds a little too scooped. Try putting some mids back in and adding a touch more highs. GB uses a pretty bright sound in comparison to most jazz gtrists...

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Very nice! I think thats real close to Bensons later sounds with his Ibanez. I agree with Richard on what you should do to get closer. Benson uses a Gibson Johnny Smith for most of his studio work from what I am told by inside sources. he LOVES those guitars and has many of them. The pups on those are very bright.