Trying to get the best sound with the two notes torpedo studio and my fender amp.

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jamminoutloud1, Jan 25, 2015.

1. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Supporting Member

Hey there,

So I've been messing with the two notes studio I just bought for. I am playing it direct through my hot rod deluxe. I haven't been able to dial in a basic clean sound without some sort of gain dialed in. I've experimented a lot w different cabs, Mics, and the eq's in the remote program. I'm also having trouble making it as dynamic as I'm used to. I have a feeling the sounds are in here somehow, but I haven't been able to get there yet.

I'm going through the clean channel of my hot rod deluxe w/ a strat and hearing the amp normally it sounds warm and clean. If I put any gain after it also, it doesn't sound good either, mainly I think because of the added gain the torpedo is naturally mixing in. I'm very new to this, so it could be something very obvious and basic. Seems like there's a lot of different volume possibilities as well, so not exactly sure where to set them all yet.

Do you have any suggestions on how to dial out this gain and warm up the dynamics? Thanks!

2. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

The Torpedo models power amp gain does it not?

Have you tried reducing this or using a different power amp emulation?

3. jamminoutloud1

Hmm...do you mean the section where it says 6l6, el84, etc? I've turned that off on remote. Land as far as I kniw, it's seeing the gender amp as the power amp, right? Is there another power source I should be aware of that is on by accident?

4. jamminoutloud1

5. Hellbound

Hellbound Member

Not sure I can really help cos I don't have one of these things. Is there an input gain control??

6. colonoscopotamus

colonoscopotamus Member

Your wording in the op was a little confusing.
    Just to be clear - you are plugging into your hot rod, then the speaker out of that is going into the torpedo, correct?
    Cause the wording in the op ("playing it direct into my hot rod") makes it sound like you're plugging into the torpedo, then sending its output to the amp which, yeah, I would bet would be hard to make sound good.

7. jamminoutloud1

Ha, sorry for the confusion. I'm playing into the hot rod deluxe, and then from there it's going into the torpedo.

As an update, I'm starting to get better sounds. I realized I have to keep the volume on the amp extremely low, just about at 2 or even a little below. And then I've boosted the output and input. Not sure if this is the best way to go, but it's a step in the right direction. Now, getting a good gain sound is the next challenge. Any advice on where to generally set volumes? (amp, output and input on torpedo, etc.)

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

There shouldn't be any reason to keep the amp volume low at all, set it where it sounds best when using a regular speaker, which probably is quite loud.
    Make sure the input on the Torpedo isn't clipping. Set the output so it's not clipping in your audio interface/daw.

Finding the right IR's to use is important. Personally I use mostly Ownhammer IR's in Two-Notes WOS III with my Reload, but som of the stock ones are great too.

9. jamminoutloud1

The input is set very low. Still when I turn the amp past 3 or 4 it distorts. Would never happen regularly with the regular speaker. Is there another input I should be aware of?

10. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

On the front panel there's a switch named LOADBOX. Set it to -15dB

Can't think of anything else.

11. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

pm sent, we're happy to assist.

Andy

12. jamminoutloud1

Thanks Andy. very happy with the customer service support here at Two Notes and diffusion audio. You guys have been extremely helpful in helping me troubleshoot my problem.

13. ipm

ipm Member

The rest of will not be happy if you don't post some clips!

14. djluis48

djluis48 Member

And the solution, in case someone else encounters this problem.:D

15. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

What was the solution?

16. jamminoutloud1

Hard to say...I think it probably got knocked in the mail. Nothing to be worried about.

17. wizard_23

wizard_23 Member

What mics and cabs are you using?

18. placidmonk1990

placidmonk1990 Member

Am wondering how you connect your Reload with the Hot Rod Deluxe? I just got the HRD today. It seems to work fine with the internal speaker (though I turned it on at a very low volume, since its night time). Pulled out the output jack from the speaker, and tried inserting a speaker cable which I am connecting to the speaker in of the Reload. But I am not getting any signal in my audio interface. I know am doing something wrong since the power tubes are really hot. So don't want to blow up the amp. Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanx

19. wizard_23

wizard_23 Member

Are you connecting the speaker cable to the same jack the internal speaker was connected to or is it to the external jack?

From the manual:

"D. EXTERNAL SPEAKER - Plug-in connection for an external speaker. This jack is wired in parallel with the main speaker jack and must ONLY be used in conjunction with the main speaker jack. If this jack is used without the main speaker jack, there will be no sound. The external speaker jack must be used with an 8 ohm speaker enclosure. "

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemFiles/Manual/FenderHotRodDeluxeManual.pdf

Also, what impedance do you have the reload set to?

20. placidmonk1990

placidmonk1990 Member

Am using the Reload at 8 Ohm option. I unplugged the internal speaker of the HRD and plugged in the speaker cable from the Reload in the exact same spot, also tried plugging it in the other hole, but no sound. The signal isn't coming up to my interface. Thought there might have been an issue with the reload, but then my Suhr Badger 18 works fine. Will try again on Monday as am out right now. Will let you know how it goes. But I appreciate the link very much. Thanx.