Trying to get this tone

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by patrickmatchless, Feb 24, 2012.

1. patrickmatchless

patrickmatchless Member

Bold as love by John Mayer. Looking to get a new amp. What would get me close ? For cleans or od

2. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

? he has a sig amp. Right?

I listened to his version, meh, went back to the Hendrix version and it actually made me weep.

3. patrickmatchless

patrickmatchless Member

Would a two rock get me close to that. I want that clean but starting to break uo when u dig in and for the solo would a two rock get that. I'll buy any pedal I have a rockbox boiling point now and a lovepedal kanji eternity. Thinking a bout a golden klon?

4. Scott Whigham

Scott Whigham Member

Is it the tone here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKpLtHw7IKQ

Killer tone, but you don't need a $5000+ amp and a $1000 pedal for that IMO. If you have that sort of budget, I'd suggest a blackface Vibrolux - '64-'68 I think. Pair that with any strat with vintage-style pickups and turn the volume up to 5-6. Bam! Then you just need a boost/lead pedal. The Rockett Pedals Blue Note is ideal to my ears for that because it doesn't change your tone; it just makes more of it.

5. Wagster

Wagster Member

A 60's to early 70's Bassman would get you there.

6. patrickmatchless

patrickmatchless Member

What about cheaper brands. Fuchs. Glaswerks. Stuff that that ? I'm looking to get it at lower volumes I can't have a 100w head with all the headroom in the world before it breaks up ya know. I need it to be moderate. 50 and under

7. scottl

scottl Member

Just to clarify, cheaper connotates less quality. In no way are some of the other brands inferior. Just less $$$. All of these companies make a quality product and I am sure John would sound like John with any number of the "Fender on Steroids" amps.

8. telecasting

telecasting Member

Get a Fender DRRI and a tubescreamer and the rest is up to you.

9. patrickmatchless

patrickmatchless Member

Also I have been trying to find a jmp plexi. Around 67. Where do I look I can't seem to find anything. Is there a site for vintage amps. And who makes the closest boutique version ? For if I can't dint a real one

10. mondaythursday

mondaythursday Senior Member

All you have to do to get John Mayer's tone is to find out on which days John Mayer has garbage pickup. Once you have gathered that information you must move to a location where the garbagemen come on the same day(s) each week as John Mayer's garbagemen come, unless you happen to already get garbage pickup on the same day(s) as John Mayer does. However, there is a possibility that John Mayer may live in more than one place and may have different garbage pickup days at different locations. This could make the acquisition of his tone more difficult.

11. disfrontman

disfrontman Member

Actually, the tone on the linked video sounds a touch muddy to me. If you were to tell me "dude is playin' through a Boss GT-10!" I would easily have believed you.

Having said that, the guy is amazing. Dave Matthews vocals + fantastic, soulful lead playing. So much of what makes his tone sounds good is him. I don't want to go back into the "tone is in the fingers" flames, but I think this guy would sound good through a frickin' Pignose.

So my unsolicited advice would be: don't go hog-wild tracking down crazy-priced vintage gear to "bottle" this particular tone. It's really a "meh", nondescript sound. Rather, find out what you do best, how your personal guitar approach can cut into the very heart of your audience, then find a tone or tones that show those skills off in the most effective, most flattering light--while also minimizing what you suck at.

12. esptiger

esptiger Member

If your are looking for a John Mayer tone start looking into in SRV tone.

13. Angry Old Man

Angry Old Man Member

*note

Jimi's amps were highly modified, I forget by who but he had a "guy"

14. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

If you really want to cop his tone, go about it the other way. Get his phrasing, vibrato etc down cold and then worry about guitars and amps. They will become of secondary importance. John would probably sound like john through a peavey bandit. Jimi used gibby and Sunn amps at times. Still sounded like him.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  15. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

Yup. If that seems too easy for you, find any old Fender Blackface amp and have at it.

16. mudster

mudster High Prairie Wrangler Silver Supporting Member

Once I saw Mayer play with a 90's Fender Blues DeVille and he killed it; so I think you can nail his tone a number of ways. I saw him on TV w/ a Dumble and man that was some killer tone.

17. patrickmatchless

patrickmatchless Member

Where do I find old Marshall's. Plexis. 66 or 67 I'm digging the sound. My friend has a amp kit from somewhere that's a 67 based. And I like it. But I want the real deal ya know. And people say dumbles are the shizz. How much are they. I'm only 18 but I can save up and I'd be willing to go to about 10k if there that great Is it stupid ?

18. straightblues

straightblues Member

The clean part of his tone is achieved by cranking a Black Face style amp to about 7 or 8 and then turning down the volume on the guitar. When I say BF style amp, there are lots of different companies that make BF style amps. You can also get vintage Fender Silver Face or Back Face amps.

For the overdriven part, it sounds like a pedal to me. There are lots of pedals that could do that sorta sound. Personally I like the Timmy for those tones.

19. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

You're gonna' need to stretch that budget.......A LOT!

20. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

clean blackface, strat with the mids cut, ts9 for the solos. And hands like a boss ;)

a little bit of verb...maybe a little bit of compression.