Trying to nail Semisonic/Dan Wilson sounds

Zillie

Hello,
my tribute band is going to cover two Semisonic songs - I have problems with nailing these effects:

1. Fuzzy/synth lead tone that starts at 0:16 (maybe it's not even a guitar)

2. Sort of auto-wah sound that starts at 0:59 and goes throughout the song - I've tried regular wah pedal with delay but the original is cooler and kind of synthy

What effect or particular pedal would you guys recommend me to try?

I haven't found any info on Dan Wilson's gear and he even did not much effects live since he was the only guitarist and played mainly rhythm...

Thanks!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Why try to copy him and his sound? Do your own version of the tune...Listener peeps appreciate that originality, at least they do in our band

Zillie

Why try to copy him and his sound? Do your own version of the tune...Listener peeps appreciate that originality, at least they do in our band
I got what you mean but this is more of a job and originality is not always welcome and not in this case - the fun for me is (at least) nailing the sounds if I like them and I like these.

I have other projects for fun where I have more space for doing things my way...

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
First off... thanks for reminding me to listen to this record. Brought back some great memories. Dan's book is fantastic too. I believe it's called "One Hit Wonder?"

First clip: that's absolutely a synth. Most likely with some fuzz or dirt added but it's not a guitar.
Second clip: that's a wah pedal. It trails off with a tremolo and delay or reverb added.

msquared

Silver Supporting Member
I've always loved Wilson's guitar tone. Semisonic was great stuff.

In the liner notes for that album he mentions ZVex fuzzes. Jacob Slichter's book mentions that he had a pair of fuzzes in his live rig if that helps.

Trending Topics