Trying to rejuvenate our old PA - aging mic question

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by geoangus, Feb 22, 2015.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

After nearly a 20 year hiatus to raise our families, we're putting our band back together. One of the guys has kept the PA all of these years, and we're currently upgrading it a piece at a time. During the past 15 years, the PA has either been in storage in a basement, or a dry but unheated shed. One of the Crown amps is shot, and we've replaced it and a couple of other bits are done as well.

My question for you all, how well do microphones hold up. We have SM58's, they're all at least 20 years old, and while they still work, I'm just curious if we should consider replacing them as well. Part of what we're fighting is feedback through our monitors, and while we're able to eq much of that out, I just wonder if newer mic's would translate into an ability to sing a little easier.

I'm tempted to just buy a new mic, for A/B comparison sake, but I might not buy an SM58, so that wouldn't be a true comparison.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I saw a video where a guy buried an SM58 in his yard for like a couple years or something. Then he dug it up and it worked just as well as a new one. I'm not saying your old ones will and really there's a chance they will actually be better, but it seems like you may be leaning towards different mics anyway.

I am disinclined to believe it is contributing to feedback in any significant way though. What would most likely translate into singing easier would be buying good monitors or going IEM.

3. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

58's work great for most people. They're only okay for others (like me). I doubt yours are any worse for having been stored.

Around Christmas I found a three-pack of Sennheiser E835's at a nice price (less than $180 IIRC). They have been closing those out since an upgrade has been released. Very solid vocal mics. They don't have the proximity effect of a 58, so they aren't boomy when someone really gets close to one.

4. geoangus

geoangus Member

Okay - thanks guys. I'm not a sound guy, but I just hated the thought that we may be updating all this gear when the problem may be old mics. Good to know

5. bob-i

bob-i Member

I've had 57s and 58s that sound as good as new 30 years later, and some the and like junk after 3 years. Listen to them and decide.

6. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

You can buy just the capsule, should be less than a new mic.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Doesn't Shure service these mics free or cheap?

8. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

Yes see if Shure will refurb etc. IF not compare them to a new one on the exact same channel with the exact same settings That should tell you if they are fine or not.

9. bob-i

bob-i Member

I checked into a refurb/capsule before I threw out one of my old 58s. Turned out to be only a few bucks more for a new mic so I didn't refurb it.

10. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

If your issue is feedback, swapping mics would only help if you went to one with a different pattern - like a hypercardoid.

You 58's are probably fine. I would check into better eq or a feedback buster.

11. kyhoops

kyhoops Member

I've fought feedback with mic's before. Get an Ev767. You'll be happy you did.

12. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Super/hyper cardioid is good as long as the singers know not to put the monitor directly behind the mic. I use supers with my audio company and I've considered going back to cardioid due to musicians thinking they're helping by pointing directly away from the monitor.