• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Trying to sort out gain stacking

Mark Milliron

I just picked up a Timmy for low gain, which I really like. So now I'm trying to decided which pedals would work great stacked into the Timmy for medium and high gain?

I have a Beardoot Sparkling Yellow OD1 and a Skreddy Hybrid Overdrive but I'm not loving them for medium and high gain stacked into the Timmy. I was thinking that maybe a dual overdrive with separate channels my be a good option? That way there would only be 2 gain pedals stacked at a time. Trying to stack 3 pedals is not working so well for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

ZosoRush

im dealing with the same thing. I have a Wampler Sovereign, Fulltone Fulldrive 2/MOS, JHS Sweet Tea, MXR Super Badass Distortion and a Boss SD-1 that I'm trying to get just right.

Any thoughts?

Space Jazzer

Ah, the lovely alchemy of stacking drive pedals! I love that particular rabbit hole. Very rewarding, with surprises lurking behind every corner.

I tried boosting my Spaceman Sputnik with my Xotic BB Comp, and the results were glorious but noisy. So I threw the Empress ParaEQ in after the Sputnik and cut almost all of the noise, while goosing the mids just a touch. To make matters even more interesting, I fed the entire chain into my Cali76 set for mild compression. I ended up with an almost synth-like sound with endless sustain and touch-sensitivity. Like an instrument all of its own. It's in fact so juicy I'm going to use it for saxophone-esque jazz lines at an upcoming fusion gig.

Oh, the glory of pedals!

blue62

I only ever turn on 2 gain pedals at a time. One as a base tone and one to push it further if needed.
I have a Screwdriver and a SYOD and they sound killer together.

Mark Milliron

I only ever turn on 2 gain pedals at a time. One as a base tone and one to push it further if needed.
I have a Screwdriver and a SYOD and they sound killer together.
This is what I'm thinking, but without a switcher, it would require some tap dancing to kick off a medium gain pedal and switch on a higher gain pedal.

I just picked up a Timmy for low gain, which I really like. So now I'm trying to decided which pedals would work great stacked into the Timmy for medium and high gain?

I have a Beardoot Sparkling Yellow OD1 and a Skreddy Hybrid Overdrive but I'm not loving them for medium and high gain stacked into the Timmy. I was thinking that maybe a dual overdrive with separate channels my be a good option? That way there would only be 2 gain pedals stacked at a time. Trying to stack 3 pedals is not working so well for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!
I like stacking into the Timmy to take advantage of the EQ... Depending on where the gain is set on the Timmy, any type of ‘mid-boost’ pedal will give higher gain settings, but you have to back down the gain of that pedal, basically turning it into a low-gainer. Example: I will sometimes push my V1 Timmy with an Archer with the gain on the Timmy at about 3-5, and the gain on the archer at 2-3... more in ‘boost’ mode... Another good sounding combinations is an FD2 in comp-cut mode into a Timmy. That gives you, low, medium, and boosted lead tones..

I have also used a Box of Rock AFTER the Timmy and stacked the 2 for bigger gain tones... That worked really well too!

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
What do you mean why? Im saying i have a ll of those pedals I'm trying to stack with them Timmy and I'm seeing which ones i like best.
Oh, Timmy wasn't mentioned. I thought you were talking about gain stacking them in general.

I said "why" because that's a lot of gain pedals to sort out so I guess it would be important to figure out what, exactly, you want from each of them and whether or not you want something different and go from there....why do you need to stack is what I was getting at.

I'm not sure there would be a universal setting to work well with all of those pedals.

ZosoRush

Oh, Timmy wasn't mentioned. I thought you were talking about gain stacking them in general.

I said "why" because that's a lot of gain pedals to sort out so I guess it would be important to figure out what, exactly, you want from each of them and whether or not you want something different and go from there.

I'm not sure there would be a universal setting to work well with all of those pedals.
Haha right? i would never dream of trying them all together. :rotflmao

CEFlint

I actually use my Timmy in the middle of dirt, between a fuzz and a distortion. It turns the fuzz into another flavor drive/distortion with or it gooses the distortion into another flavor of distortion/fuzz. In both cases, I can run an amazing array of tones using 3 pedals and my guitar's volume/tone controls.

blue62

This is what I'm thinking, but without a switcher, it would require some tap dancing to kick off a medium gain pedal and switch on a higher gain pedal.
I mean leave one pedal on all the time as the base OD sound. So you might have the SYOD on as your medium gain base tone then goose it with the Timmy to go higher gain. The Timmy is set so it just pushes you up one level.
The rest you can do with the volume control on the guitar.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom