Trying to understand Gretschs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mild, Aug 15, 2006.

1. mild

mild Member

Hi all,

I've been researching Gretsch guitars for a little while now, and have decided that my next axe will be some variation of the Country Classic series - I really like the look of these guitars!

I have two noobie questions though, if you could help answering them, I'd love you forever...

[​IMG]

1. On the right, we can see a very large, obtuse black circle of what appears to be leather - I've seen this on many Gretschs, but am still oblivious as to what it is. My guess, is that its a device for preventing buckle rash - very cool. Question: What is behind it? If you take it off, does it still look good?

2. I am rather interested in 6122SP model. I like the idea of TV Jones Filtertrons, and the features are all there. I'd want proper F-holes, I reckon... however, one thing puts me off - what are those two knobs with the red velvet surrounding them for? They look awful! Are they important? If so... I would probably dye the velvet black...

I noticed that Harrison had these on his guitar. So I suspect this is trying to cater to the "Beatle-crazed" market... even so - its my one gripe with an otherwise perfect-for-me model!

Your sage wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
    Jono

2. hogy

hogy Member

There's a big ole gaping hole with a homemade looking plasic cover on it. Seriously.

The electronics go through that hole and also the clunky mechanism for the string mutes. Those felt pad things in front of the bridge are designed to be brought in contact with the strings via a manual mechanism to produce a percussive, muted tone. "Those two knobs with the red velvet surrounding them" are connected to the mutes via a rod and lever system, and by manipulating them you bring the muting pads up against the strings.

The buttons that hold the sofa cusion are screwed into the body, so you have eight screw holes with indentations from the buttons to deal with if you want to take it off.

Hogy

3. photoguy

photoguy Member

Under the black pad is a plastic cover that's held on with screws. Gives access to the inside of the guitar. The red circles are the knobs that control the grey felt "mutes" . (Visable just above teh bridge)You could mute part or all of the strings with these, though I'm not sure anybody ever really used them! Harrison's guitar had them but some of the newer re-issues don't, his guitar also had the painted "f" holes as opposed to the real ones.

4. mild

mild Member

Very helpful, thanks guys! Alright, so I would say my taste differs to Harrison's... (which will probably be in my favour - trying to get "Beatles-styled desirables" is always a mission these days!)

I understand what the "double mute" thing is now as well! Multiple birds with one stone, thankyou Hogy!

So I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a proper f-holed, solid backed Gent/Country Classic, with a B6G Bigsby. Wizard!

5. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

6. mild

mild Member

Thanks again. My newfound grasp of some elusive terminology has made that website a whole lot more readable now.

7. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

Here's a pic of the back of my Gent although I don't have a photo of it without the backpad. However, you can see the outline of the plastic backplate in the center of the backpad.
    [​IMG]

8. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I thought that was a built in trampoline for the kids.

9. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

With much respect to Gretsch owners everywhere and bearing in mind that I love almost everything else about Gretsches and think they are some of the coolest guitars around ... the backpad irresistibly reminds me of a giant nappy.

10. suttree

suttree Member

no no..

you put yer weeeeed in there.

11. gitman

gitman Member

the "nappy " is a relic from the comfort-crazy 60's and serves no purpose really. the magic and general appeal of the Gretsch guitars ( for me and some others ) lie in their unique sound, the good playability, the ultra-cool looks and the rich musical tradition they are associated with. the fact that the new Gretsch guitars that are built in Japan sound and play so much better than their US made ancestors ( those from the late 60's to the mid 90's ) AND are priced very reasonably does help considerably ! this is waiting for me to pick up tomorrow ( a new Silver Falcon - mine will have a Bigsby of course ... ) ::drool
    [​IMG][/IMG]

12. iainmc

iainmc Member

gitman, i am jelous! i have been jonsing for a black falcon with bigsby for a while. i'd put tv jones filtertrons & a different bridge in tho!

/i

13. gitman

gitman Member

i actually have a tune-o-matic bridge ready for it ;-) as for the pups :
    i want to wait and get a good feel for the newer Gretsch "Hi-sensitive" F'trons
    before i go and change them for TV Jones. had a Tennessee Rose for a while with TV's and they were not bad but maybe the originals will do just fine in that Falcon. i will report back ...

14. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The ol' "midnight trampoline"... LOL!

I'd forgotten all about those suckers!

15. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

This is the Golden Age of Gretsch guitars. Under Fender's leadership, Gretsch has corrected decades worth of problems and put into production more reissues of classic guitars, with more options and updates than at any time in their history.

I've owned Gretsches from the '40s, '50s, '60s & '70s. My current 6120 SSLVO is easily the best of the bunch.

I do wish I still owned my '55 Jet Firebird though. :jo

16. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

Oh man that is awesome!!! Congrats!!!!! That one's on my list of possible Gretschs someday.

17. thintele

thintele Member

[quote='70 RS]This is the Golden Age of Gretsch guitars. Under Fender's leadership, Gretsch has corrected decades worth of problems and put into production more reissues of classic guitars, with more options and updates than at any time in their history.

I've owned Gretsches from the '40s, '50s, '60s & '70s. My current 6120 SSLVO is easily the best of the bunch.

I do wish I still owned my '55 Jet Firebird though. :jo[/quote]
    +1 on the 6120SSLVO ... already has the Sperzel locking tuners, the TV Jones and the '59 tresle bracing that gives the guitar a more solid feel and helps cut down on feedback.

JonoL, look at a G6122 Country Classic . Its got the real F holes, B6G Bigsby and no mutes...and the neck is joined at the 18th fret for better access to upper registers

18. mild

mild Member

That Setzer does look like a shapely guitar! For me though, I'm just loving the look of the Dual cutaways... its like a more sophisticated 335!

Thanks to all of you for your help. Good old trampoline, eh! Thintele - thanks! That G6122 was what I came to the conclusion on yesterday - it looks fantastic, exactly what I wanted! (BTW, love your handle... my Thinline is currently my number 1, LOVE that guitar...!)

19. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

As I recall, there were also thumbscrews that would operate the mutes- round knobs where the flippy levers are...

20. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Be sure to check out the 6120DC Nashville (double cutaway 6120). TV Jones Classics, single mute (instead of the double....like you'll ever use it), and best of all? It's orange!