Trying two amp, miking with two mikes, compare (Norms EXUSE)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by abergdahl, Nov 21, 2005.

1. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I just got a TSM MT47 large Diaphragm Tube Mike to complement my SM57, so here are clips of both Microphones and each on it’s own
    OK first it’s the Mystique Blue star and the Ruokangas Duke, bridge PU, both mikes are in front of the speaker near the dust cap and 5 cm from the grill. Speaker is a G12-65.
    BOTH MIKES

Here is ONLY TUBE MIKE . If I would have alone I would have moved it further from center.

SM57 By it’s own where I usually like it.

Echos are the same on all clips (it’s the same clip) but the BOTH clip has the MT47 panned left and SM57 panned right.

And last here is a clip with the same microphones, in the same position, with the same speaker and the same guitar but some neck pickup towards the end. The only thing different is the amp this time it’s the Custom By Cougar Thunderbird.

Thunderbird

So what do you all think?? In my opinion the major flaw with a SM57 is that it makes all amps sound almost the same, the tube other microphone lets me hear more of the amp tone making the difference more apparent.
    Please comment and discuss.

THANKS FOR THE BACKING NORM.

I could post the T-bird with either mike if anyone is interested.

2. MattB

MattB Member

I think the SM and the condenser together sounds the best. I was actually going to try this myself, tonight.

Edited to add: Tasty playing and great tone by the way :)

3. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Thanks MattB :) d
    Did anyone listen to the Thunderbird clip? My feeling is that the Mystique is more natural (Carlton sounding) for this type of track but the intresting thing is how differnt the Thunderbird makes me play, more rock :dude

4. marinblues

marinblues Member

I like the "Excuse with 2 mikes" best.

Cool playing Anders, keep it up!